Strange and interesting plant seedling

Iv got to say this seedling has grown one of its leaves in a very strange way

• Maybe I should call it the Magic Wildflower seedling. It has undone the part that was closed up and uncurled and opened up its leaf. You can even see where it’s uncurled

• I'm looking at this more from the point of view of "CSI".

The curled up leaf looks suspiciously like it has insect 'silk' on it, normally produde by a larva/caterpillar. Some species do deliberately curl a leaf into a tube to help avoid detection/predation. Looking at the leaf in its (now) uncurled state appears to show two areas of damage which well be where the larva (?) was grazing.

The seedlings appear to be in the open so perhaps an enterprising bird got there whilst you weren't looking and releaved the plant of its lodger and broke the 'silk' curling up the leaf.

Just my tuppence worth.

I'm now off to listen to The Who...

Who are you, who, who, who, who

(if anyone interested ... www.youtube.com/watch

(Or what were you)...
  • That sounds Like an interesting thought about the insect silk.
  • Possible culprit leafroller moths in the Tortrix family
  • I found a caterpillar from the Tortrix family in the garden on my bucket yesterday there’s lots of very similar species so can’t say it is defiantly a apple moth even though very likely but this caterpillar is in the Tortrix family at this point cause there’s lots of different types it could of been any and there was a leafroller adult aswell as a apple moth adult in the garden last year so it possibly a leafroller it is a possibility worth considering