Wildlife in the Garden

This stick like tree thing turned out to be Dogwood in Spring and Sunmer 

• How big was that B&W spider in photo community.rspb.org.uk/.../A306245A_2D00_6663_2D00_425D_2D00_9CF2_2D00_709E67E2C2F7.jpeg
    ?

Might be worth highlighting it to an Araneae person. It has a suspicious similarity to a raft spider, but well outside my core interests.
  • Its a running crab spider this species of running  crab spider is called Philodromus dispar.

• Hoverfly (Larvae) 

Hoverfly Larvae lack a obvious head and have no obvious feet ,  and unlike Butterfly and moth caterpillars they eat Aphids rather than vegetation. They eat Aphids  to help them grow  bigger and eventually turn into a adult so make good biological control agents 

• The adult form feeds on nectar and pollen and lay there eggs near Aphids. consequently most of the aphids were wiped out and the larvae left. there was still some left but the presence of the Aphids has attracted more Aphid predators. I have a small wasp that is particularly interested in the Aphids. It causes them to try and deter it with strange movements whenever it goes near them. The wasp doesnt like it. There’s lots of different types of wasps that prey on Aphids and some parasitise Aphids there called Aphidinae. Bracinoid wasps are one of the wasps which the wasp visiting the Aphids is and keeps visiting them

•     

These circular holes are made by a solitary Bee called a Leafcutter bee 

if you find these in your garden it’s a sign of a leafcutter bee. They cut circular holes in leafs to seal up there nests 

Zebra Spider 

Garden Spider 

hoverfly 

• Hoverfly on Willow herb 

I found a common Cockchafer in my bird bath I put it in my pot to recover 

cause I found Another Box tree Moth but it was in my bird bath 

I tryed to get it out by sliding a leaf under it 

It couldn’t Take off very well and was very clumsy cause it’s wings were wet 

it stayed here near my pond to dry off 

But then someone opened the door to let there dog out 
    so I put my hand out for it to climb on and it pulled itself onto my hand 

I put my hand next to my dogwood for it to climb onto. After it climbed on it it’s wings had dried off so it flew onto the shrub on the other side of the garden 

• A lot smaller than raft spiders, then.

Thanks for the ID. I learned a bit more about the UK's spiders.

Hoverfly larvae are much like a lot of other (but not all) 'true fly' larvae. The eating end is the 'pointy' end; the blunt end is the rear.
  • tuwit said:
    A lot smaller than raft spiders, then.

Thanks for the ID. I learned a bit more about the UK's spiders.

Hoverfly larvae are much like a lot of other (but not all) 'true fly' larvae. The eating end is the 'pointy' end; the blunt end is the rear.

thats ok.  In reference to sending it to someone even though it’s not a raft Spider I did send it to the arachnological society some time ago. I send my observations of Spiders  to the arachnological society secretary sometimes and he adds them to the recording schemes database. 

Yes. hoverly larvae are a type of maggot.  for hoverfly  larvae there called Aphid eaters cause they eat Aphids