Caterpillars 2022 share your photos here.

I thought it would be interesting to share photos of Caterpillars if we have any and if we see any this year 

if I see any I will add mine to the Forum aswell. Your welcome to send your photos if you have seen any 

• Thorpe Forest, Norfolk

Cinabar Moth Caterpillar Bug 

• It's not often I manage to get a decent photo of a caterpillar,

This one had been rescued from my shirt by my wife, probably a large or cabbage white, corrections/confirmations gratefully received...

• Cabbage white is the name for both the small and large white butterflys . It wouldn’t be a small White cause there completely green and dont have the patterns the large White has.  Its a large white.

I don’t know if you have seen a small white Butterfly caterpillar before or not but this is what it looks like

I used to have lots of large white caterpillars in the garden and there crysilis some we’re not just hanging from leafs they were also on the walls. And were even crawling across the garden cause I had lots of Nasturtiums in my border. I even had one of the large White Catterpillers on the wall in my  bedroom. one thing I did find interesting is that when I had the Nasturtiums I only had one or 2 small white caterpillars but lots of large Whites  that year. 

• I have to say that was the conclusion I came to in the end, the cabbage white is either the small or large white.

I've two very good books, and both give opposing connections. Either way, I got a good clear caterpillar photo, and after my wife rescued it from my shirt, it was off to find a proper food source.

• Found these in the garden on a Radish that has flowered. Not sure what they are, but look a bit like the Large White (according to Google Lens):

• SnappyMac said:

Found these in the garden on a Radish that has flowered. Not sure what they are, but look a bit like the Large White (according to Google Lens):

They look very similar to the one I saw at Charlecote a couple of days back, so I wouldn't discount large, or small white, or what seems to be a collective and former definition, cabbage white.

• Yes cabbage white is a word for both the small and large white.

but if you want to know which species of Cabbage white it is its a large White. Your cabbage white is very unlikely to be a small White. Small Whites don’t look any thing like the large white Catterpillers. 

The screenshot I sent is of the small White caterpillar and its from the Buttetfly conservation trust. It isn’t a Tortoiseshell and it isn’t a Box tree moth. Its a large white Catterpiller.

Here’s some helpful infomation and photos from the Butterfly conservation trust

• Many thanks for the info Zo, and any references to the small white rather than large white, have hopefully been updated.

• I think "cabbage white" is americanisation for either Small or Large White, although we used to call all white butterflies Cabbage Whites when I was growing up (not in America)! Just to clarify JoyRolling eyes

• Shall I do one for this year aswell?