My best Christmas present ever!!!!

My auntie has given me my late uncle's bushnell binoculars and his bird book that he absolutely loved. 

He was a very avid bird watcher and she said he would be so proud of me for carrying on his hobby and feeding the birds. 

I know nothing about binoculars, are these ones any good??? As they are a 2010 model. 

BUSHNELL NATUREVIEW 10X42 13-2010 BAK-4 BINOCULARS

• Oh you very lucky lady. I know nowt about the bins but there are plenty on here that will and who will be able to give you advice. How nice to have these handed down to you.
  • Book of British Birds. Readers Digest/AA publication. Great artworks (imo). I hankered after it when it was originally published in1969 (?). I had one around fifty years ago.

Looks like some (serious) bleaching along the bottom of the cover, so probably not of a great resale value (if you were thinking in that way). Love the book for its artwork?

(And I'm on the front cover). Keewick :)
  • Thank you the book is so lovely and has great pictures and tells you so much about the birds.

No I am not selling them I am going to use them, I just wanted to know if they were good binoculars for bird watching that's all.

Kath x
  • I know am so emotional about it as when I was a child he used to talk to me about the birds and we used to sit together and look at the birds.

Kath x
  • I had a couple of pairs of the Bak-4 Bushnells. They were decent I seem to recall — value price range but pretty good for that bracket. It’s an older design but if they’re in good working nick there’s no reason you shouldn’t enjoy some fun years’ birding with them.
  • The bins are 10x42, that's a 10 times magnification with a 42mm lens at the front - pretty typical for birding. Some people prefer the slightly lower 8x magnification (though I like 10x myself) as it gives a slightly wider view. The higher magnification gives a closer view, but may be harder to hold still. Only you'll be able to decide if they're right for you :-)
    If they're your first pair of binoculars, you'll soon realise what you'd been missing without them, so good luck! :-)
  • tuwit said:
    Book of British Birds. Readers Digest/AA publication. Great artworks (imo). I hankered after it when it was originally published in1969 (?). I had one around fifty years ago.

We bought that particular book after visiting Sculthorpe Moor - it was one of the bird guides in the hides and we fell in love with the stunning illustrations.  I really hope Kath keeps the book as it's so beautiful.

• Bushnell make very good optics, so you'll be plenty pleased with those, and a Readers Digest book, treasure it, they are extremely good books and a force to be reckoned with back in their day.

My son's first binocs (he no longer watches wildlife, a busy young man working, studying and trying to keep a home plus pets takes his time up today) were a small pair of Bushnells which I now have for viewing down the garden.

You'll find a lot of use for both the binocs and book, enjoy and have a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• Thank you Mike so much, they mean so much more to me because they were my uncle's and he sadly passed away a few years ago.

So am just so happy to have them and the book, it is an amazing book and so detailed with beautiful pictures.
    I know the bins are an old model but seem to be working well. And I've never had any before so don't know any different.

I am going to treasure them both so much.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Kath xx