Autumn Arrived at Last! Kestrel and Woodpecker Among Others

Hey everyone! It was very very green here til recently but Autumn hit in full swing this past week and I saw some lovely things so here are my top spots from the past week or so.

This little great spotted woodpecker was so flighty I couldn't get a better shot but it was lovely to see 2 of them!

This parakeet doing a headless impression, until it heard me:

And proceeded to groom like a fiend!

Hi :D

The berries are mast this year too so the poor blackbirds have had a chance to fatten up a bit after their very late clutches.

My favourite ever photo of a robin I've taken hands down, no exceptions.

So many "white field chickens" AKA gulls (not sure what species this is):

And this lovely chunky little kestrel who insisted on eyeing up the pigeons almost half again her size!

Looking out for some food, then she spots something -

Off she goes into the distant field under amazing puffy clouds.

And the next time I see her:

She caught a rodent but I could only get a snap from a video taken at the very end of my zoom range.

It was a lovely day and I spent the best 5 hours in misty Autumn sunshine.

Hope you all have good Autumns and a great start to Winter! I'm hoping it gets nippy soon, we need the cold urgently.

• A nice selection of photos Shezka.

I'm not so sure many would agree with you regarding the arrival of winter, though I used to, and still do, love winter. Not only did I walk and climb mountains, even taking a Winter Mountaineering Skills course, I even camped in the snow!

• Haha I struggle in the cold too Mike but the icy weather is key to the safe function of nature in this country not to mention killing off those nasty bugs that make us all so sick and reducing the moisture in the air (the high humidity all the time leads to rotting and stuff plus I just hate it personally!). It refreshes and cleans up the world for the birdies and every other creature so I've come to appreciate it.
  • Rushin_Bushin said:
    Haha I struggle in the cold too Mike but the icy weather is key to the safe function of nature in this country not to mention killing off those nasty bugs that make us all so sick and reducing the moisture in the air (the high humidity all the time leads to rotting and stuff plus I just hate it personally!). It refreshes and cleans up the world for the birdies and every other creature so I've come to appreciate it.

I guessed that was what you meant, to kill off the bugs.

As for keeping warm, if you have a reputable outdoor retailer nearby, and still want to get outside to those reserves or woods etc, have a look at merino wool base layers, they're like t-shirts/vests made from merino sheep wool, nice and toasty and if you do sweat, they have that nice neat trick of not making you feel wet, which can also induce cold, as with cotton.

Synthetic base layers are good, but don't trap the heat quite as much as the merino wool ones. My first encounter with a synthetic base layer was on a proper winter mountain climb, we stopped for a break, and like the others, took my pack off to access my snack, and for a few seconds, my back felt wet and cold. It lasted just a few seconds, after that, I never felt any cold or dampness and could easily had to wear that combo for another day, we stopped out overnight as part of the course.

Beware of cheaper brands, they like wool, can and often do itch!

A good outdoor retailer will have staff trained to advise you.

Also consider a mid-layer, another good warmth trap, and sweat absorber and working with the base layer, is what we in the outdoor world call wicking layers because they whisk the sweat away from the skin.

Coats/jackets there are many good brands and not all bright colours if you desire to blend in with the countryside, and while it may seem a lot of money to outlay, they are robust and washed properly can last years.

• Lovely Shezkah, thanks for sharing your day out with us. It is getting nippy with us now mid afternoon, so changes again, we have had some frost in the mornings but no snow, yet, thankfully!