Birds in our Garden

• Another visitor.  This one I believe is a Wren. Sorry for the "iffy" quality of the pictures

• That's a good clear goldfinch photo Ed, and welcome to the forum.

Looking through the thread, wood pigeons are probably a good bird to practice action photos with, they're common enough and the flight pattern is easier to follow than many smaller birds.

As for naming the birds, don't try to swallow a bird book, just practice on one or two that you see, and using your photos will help to ID a good many species, plus, those birds which create the nagging doubt, there's always someone here that will be only too pleased to help.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Hi Mike. Thank you for the comments. Understood on the naming. Slowly but surely. I think I may have got a shot of a Swallow sat on the telephone line to our house that I will drop in here soon. Technically not in the garden but in the airspace over it. ;-) I hope me firing loads of photos on this post does not put people off. Just excited to be able to join a community like that of the RSPB. Take care. Cheers.

• In reply to Ed D:

Ed D said:

Hi Mike. Thank you for the comments. Understood on the naming. Slowly but surely. I think I may have got a shot of a Swallow sat on the telephone line to our house that I will drop in here soon. Technically not in the garden but in the airspace over it. ;-) I hope me firing loads of photos on this post does not put people off. Just excited to be able to join a community like that of the RSPB. Take care. Cheers.

You're welcome.

I've only been doing this for 3½ years, so I'm still learning, and thanks to the helpful folk here, plus a couple of decent books, I'm getting there.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Last photo for today on this post from my garden. We have a few of these Swallows flying around today. 

• In reply to Mike B:

Thank you Mike.
  • A chirpy chap makes an entrance on or back gate. :-)

• Lovely selection Ed, and a better swallow pic than I've ever managed!
  • In reply to PimperneBloke:

Thank you. Lucky with the swallow. It was perched. ;-) Must have photo'd 30+ in an attempt to get one flying. Not managed to get any that i could publish. More practice needed. LOL