Todays Garden Birds

Female Black cap, I Have seen the male 

but not to photograph, so this female kindly obliged.

It loves my home made fatballs

You will have to hide better than this ?

Yes you

Long tail Tits like them too

What ?

I have to keep my strength up

Hey you better leave me some

I am watching

I don't know what all the fuss is about there is plenty for everyone

Thank goodness for that

I can't get enough of this

Ok Robin you can have some now

But don't eat it all, I have my eye on you

Me too

• Well they keep on coming to your garden ILR, Blackcap, not had or seen any of those either and my LTT never came back Disappointed relieved Maybe we could have a trade, I will send some starlings and you can send me Blackcap, Goldcrest, Nuthatch and anything else different that I don't get! Hugging
  • Great to have a lovely Blackcap visitor. Hopefully she likes your pastry enough to hang around.
  • I think she will Nigel, she returned during an hour several times.
  • Some great photos there. I’ve not seen ‘my’ blackcaps for just over a week now, there are two males who had been regulars. Never seen a female though
  • Lol Catlady, I must admit when i first saw the male i didn't think i would see it again and i saw it 4 times. I saw the female yesterday and again today and it returned to the fatballs that i made several times while i was watching them, so hopefully it will become a regular, It was a great Morning today in an hour I saw wood pigeons, blackbirds, goldfinch, Blackcap, dunnock, robins, long tailed tits, green finches, collered doves. And yesterday i saw my first grey Partridge, another for my seen list. Sorry i can't send you a goldcrest i haven't seen one myself Lol.
  • Well Jez i hope they return to you soon, and where there is a male there is usually a female close by ?
  • i Was beginning to think that they may have migrated but I had a look at the main sight’s guide on them and it shows them as all year round residents but it is only a guide. However, I live in hope.
    Incidentally, as an aside, when do birds start gathering nest building materials..? I’ve seen wood pigeons and magpies carrying twigs but none of the tits etc are taking any notice of the nesting materials I’ve collected for them. I’ve put moss and other soft furnishings into flowerpots which are laying on their sides on top of the tool store near the seed café.
  • Hi Jez I believe most birds will be preparing there nests at this time of year.
    I have a couple of bird boxes in my garden and I have not seen any birds visiting them as yet but I live in hope. Having said that last year was the same but I had Robin, dunnock, blue tits, and blackbird fledglings visiting my feeders so they were probably nesting in the Neighbours hedges. It’s nice that you have left nesting materials for the birds but they are very resourceful so I wouldn’t worry too much. Have you seen Robbo’s post above yours, Robbo’ is very knowledgeable about birds especially if you see a bird that you do not recognise, he is very helpful he also has an answer re your missing blackcaps.

• Yes Robins, very informative reply from Robbo about the blackcaps. I had been hoping that ‘my’ two were year round residents and I’m still hoping but it does seem more likely that have migrated.
    Re the nesting materials, one year I had a hanging basket with a moss based liner resting in a stand on the patio, which the birds found really useful and over the space of a day they’d made off with practically all the moss leaving behind a pile of compost on the ground and bedraggled geraniums hanging out of the stand. It was quite amusing to watch all the activity right outside the patio windows, so I was hoping that I could recreate a similar scenario albeit less destructive
  • You never know Jez they may still come to the nesting materials you have left out for them