Viewing Posted Photos in Full Resolution

I've noticed that photos posted in the Community do not show in full resolution unless you click on the +magnifier symbol and or Zoom in on a PC or just tap on the image on a smartphone and then Zoom in if you want a closer look. When you drop pictures into your post and leave them at that they show small in the thread and need to be expanded to get a full size view, if like me you expand them before posting the resolution is just stretched and they look out of focus until you magnify and or Zoom in. This effect only really works if the posted picture is above a certain resolution.

Apologies for the many of you who have worked this out for yourself.

Try this for yourself if you haven't before on the Black Guillemots in Oban Harbour, taken Spring 2019.

Good Luck

Trevor

• I resize my pics taken on canon powershot sx50 to medium so that they will be acceptable size for this forum but when I upload pics I use the dimensions boxes to get reasonable size reproduction i.e first box 600, second box blank!
  • Hi TJS, welcome to the Community it looks like you are posting a picture at full size that possible came out of your camera.
    Size 3010 x 2150 pixels if you resize it to say 1024 x 731 it will show the picture smaller and not massive when clicking on it, I am not sure now if I upload it again the full size but the corect way of uploading it if it will make a difference? but I will show the cropped version too

Your picture

Cropped version

• TJS, once you have clicked "Use rich formatting"  you will see this put the two sizes in the box's 

Then click on File upload find it on your computer and click on it. then click ok.

Once its uploaded click ok and post it.

• Hi Jim,
    Thanks for that.
    My pictures are all over 5MB straight off the camera but hardly any are close enough not to benefit from some cropping which gets them below the 5MB file limit. I've looked at both photos above and noticed the Cropped version doesn't allow zooming in after expanding for a look at fine detail ( e.g. what's the bird got in it's beak) which the uncropped one does. To upload photos as I have been doing I just drag and drop them into the box and expand them a bit then post. I will stay with that for now but may need to do something else for video, one I what to show is a174MB MP4.

Trevor
  • You can host images elsewhere too - I upload mine to Flickr and link them in from there. That way you can use any resolution you like