A walk around the local Reservoir

Some Tufted Ducks on a lovely afternoon

Need some more practice with birds in flight 

And the Tufted Ducks photos were not much better

but they were a long way away. Genuine excuse.

I was really surprised at the lack of seagulls on the Res and they were

in the middle of the Reservoir out of photo range. And the tufted

ducks were the only ducks on the lake. There was quite a few people 

walking around the Res and it was very muddy with large puddles

And most of the people didn't have the correct footware on, trainers

and the like. Still the sun was shining and it was quite warm and i enjoyed

myself. 

• A shame the birds weren't being as cooperative as they could have been but at least you enjoyed the day out.
    Catching birds in flight does take practice but those are a good start. I know it's limiting but results are normally better with sunshine and blue skies. Grey or white clouds behind the birds make the camera get the exposure wrong and you end up with black silhouettes. You can use exposure adjustment to counter that but the skies then tend to go completely white. Having said that, all photographic rules are made to be broken, it's knowing when to break them or at least to have a go ... which comes easier with practice!
  • Thanks for your reply Nigel, still a lot to learn but I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you
  • Lovely photos ILR, and those of the black headed gull in flight are good.

You may find two things help with image clarity (and those of the BHG's are clear) is to zoom out and use spot focusing.

The tufted ducks on the water can be challenging for any photographer, water can detract from autofocus, along with the light reflecting from the water. That's why many compacts and smart phones have a snow/water/window setting to let the AF know what it's up against.

I think to you can take a well earned pat on the back for those photos.

• Thanks Mike for the encouragement, I suppose I am my worst critic ?
  • i love robins said:
    Thanks Mike for the encouragement, I suppose I am my worst critic ?

Your welcome.

There' s no harm in constructive criticism, so long as you don't beat yourself up.

• No it’s in my DNA Mike, I like to get things right if I can.