My beautiful wood pigeon in our snowy garden.. ️

• That's a real frosty scene and I bet the woodpigeon is appreciating the extra food on offer Kath, they are such big birds they take a lot of feeding. I remember picking a woodpigeon up off the ground (window strike) a few years ago and was surprising how heavy it was to pick up !!
  • Thank you Hazel. We have been having a pair of wood pigeons in our garden that of course I have adopted and called them Phil and Phyllis...RoflRoflRofl

They arrive for breakfast, dinner and tea... I can't believe how much a bird can eat in one sitting, there favourite is the peanuts.

We also have a pair of collared doves at least once a day that come they are so pretty and elegant.

And of course not forgetting Mr Magpie he has also become a regular.
    Everybody raves about the small birds but having these big birds in my garden has given me a love for them most definitely...

Hope you are keeping well. Stay safe xxx
  • We used to have woodpigeons, magpies and the occasional collared dove in our last garden (along with over 40 other species) but it was the Jays that amazed me being quite small for corvids and could eat (store in their crop) 21+ nuts in one sitting !! I never minded any bird having a share of the food; they also loved raw pastry which I added crushed peanuts and mild cheddar cheese to as well as suet pellets and sun-hearts. I also gave the corvids a tin of dog food and pasta on occasion (pasta and the raw pastry minus the salt content). Jays loved the pastry and would pull chunks off at a time. Next month we will have to crush all the whole peanuts unless they are in a dedicated peanut feeder as it will be start of breeding season when whole nuts could pose problems if adult birds feed them to chicks. Happy bird watching Kath and stay well and safe too.
  • It doesn't matter whether they are big birds or small birds: as long as you get pleasure from having them in the garden then enjoy them.