Lammergeier

Went for a walk in the Peak District this morning and saw one of Europe's rarest birds!  Clearly it's not heard of staycations...

• Cracking shots Mike, good to see you got it at it's roost site.
    It's amazing how quickly it's getting a full tail again now the feathers are starting to grow.

My Flickr photos

• Well done Mike, It really is a wonderful sight with that magnificent wingspan.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to Alan.:

Thanks. We got lucky - I had heard it was in the area but we didn't really expect to see it - forgot to even take binoculars but luckily I did have my camera (only a bridge camera but it does mean I nearly always have it with me). You obviously know a bit about it - was it injured? Does anyone know where it came from? - I understand they were reintroduced into southern Spain, I would have thought that they would all be tagged in some way? I expected to find more about it on this site but couldn't - or is that me not being able to navigate?
  • Hi Mike,  here is a link to another thread on the vulture which will give you more information.   I was lucky enough to see it when it was near Derwent Reservoir and even at distance this bird was unmistakeable !     A thrill to see for sure.    

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• There is also a blog here Mike www.4vultures.org/.../

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thanks Alan, that's a very interesting site.