Photography courses

Hello, 

I've done some bird photography in the past couple of months but I would like to improve. I was wondering if any of you know any nice online nature/birdwatching course that I could take? I'm quite frustrated because all the time I'm very bad at focusing, managing the shades and the lights. Even though I have an entry level-DSLR I think that there's a lot of potential in my lenses and I do not need to get an expensive one but rather actually learn how to do bird photography.

Thanks!

• Have you made enquiries if there's an amateur photographic group meeting near you, I went to my one & some of the guys were really knowledgeable & keen to instruct for free!
  • Also ask at your local nature reserves; larger reserves sometimes offer photographic tutorials (for a fee) like Leighton Moss rspb, and there are photographic groups as Wendy says in a lot of areas around the country. Also many photographers do private one to one tutorials if you do a bit of web browsing for your local area photographers.     With the pandemic a lot of these courses have been cancelled so you may have to bide your time waiting for things to get back on track. 

• Also, one of the regular posters on here has done a series of tutorials, linked into his signature which are very informative. Search "Getting off Auto" (by WhistlingJoe)

• Here you go, save the searching :-)
    Start with the index, that links not just to the Getting off Auto threads themselves, but other useful stuff.
    Otherwise, as Hazy suggests, some reserves run courses (or can arrange bespoke sessions. I've run a couple at Minsmere for example).
    If there's a particular issue giving you trouble, by all means raise it here and I'll add it to the GoA stable :-)
  • There is a lot of good information in Whistling Joe's pages, well worth a look.

As also mentioned, some reserves may have photography course details, check out your local colleges and community centres. The library may be a good place to start for those courses.

Many major photographic retailers also offer course, at a charge and a quick check on two big names, they have courses for August 2020 and onward, Covid19 permitting.

Possibly one of the best ways is just to go out and have a go, regularly visit a local reserve, you'll get to know many of the regulars and staff, many of whom will be volunteers, and pick up tips on the best times and locations on the reserve to get photos, and some will also share their tips and tricks with you.

To help you learning to set up the camera manually, there are a few who use Flickr to share their photos, and some of those show what camera settings they have used according to the light and type of image they want to capture. Those who use Flickr will have a link to their photos with their signature on each posting they make.

Don't be put off by the fact your camera is an entry level DSLR, many still do use entry level and budget DSLR's, and likewise lenses. A lot is down to the photographer and getting the right moment.

Whatever, enjoy what you do, you'll learn and the beauty with digital, each picture will tell you what the camera settings were, which will help you make an informed decision next time you try that tricky shot for the first time.

PS, even the more experienced photographers don't always get it right, and are happy to share their moments, have a look at the thread: "Bad pics of fab wildlife - part 2!"

https://community.rspb.org.uk/chat/f/the-tea-rooms/113733/bad-pics-of-fab-wildlife---part-2/1302387#1302387

https://www.flickr.com/

• Hi

the RSPB host them at some reserves now and then :)

There are a variety of books on Bird photography- I've never used one but my old buddy David Tipling wrote one

S