Nest box camera advice

Not really photography, but this seems to be the best place for this post.

We currently have Common Swifts nesting under our roof tiles and have decided that our new home could welcome more than the three couples we currently have nesting. In the past it probably did, but the woodwork on the roof was repaired and painted two years ago and I'm fairly sure that at least some possible nesting cavities were lost at that point.

With this in mind, we're having a custom nest box cluster built. There will be nine boxes, three by three, and they will be mounted in an attic window that we will remove (good reasons for this, but not particularly important for this post).

Mounting in the attic will give us access to each box from the rear (i.e. from the attic), and this will also enable us to 'adopt' young, unfledged Swifts when necessary (so, Swifts that still require care but are, for some reason, no longer in their parents' nest). This seems to be an important service to offer to the local Swift population as habitat, particularly nesting sites, is under threat, even here.

Does anyone have experience with nest box cameras? I can't honestly see myself finding the time to sit through hours of film, and would really like to fit cameras (or one camera that we could move from box to box) just to check that all inside is going OK.

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Best regards -

Dave

• I have nest boxes fitted with simple inexpensive cams that I purchased from a supplier in west country (will post link if required) with cable that comes through wall & plugs in my computer for remote monitoring, good pics too! Unfortunately no birds using them this year but that is because I am surrounded with such a great variety of natural habitat in my quarry but have had overwintering roosters before!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Thanks Wendy. A link would be helpful, or some pointer to a website. Any experience shifting cameras from box to box (although I guess not)?

Roosters?
  • www.birdboxview.co.uk ... Keith & Rachel, very helpful when cam lens fogged, replaced f.o.c.!
    They build their own so likely could supply what you require, email ... support@birdboxview.com
    Mine are fixed in nest boxes but have had units out to repair/replace couple of times!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Wendy. Excellent. Thank you.

Whatever we do here I'll post news.

Have a great evening.

Best regards -
    Dave