A Beautiful but Unwelcome Visitor to Our Garden

Our local Sparrowhawk is regular visitor to our garden. It does take a few birds, and as it's been rightly pointed out, we do set the table for it by feeding the other birds. I've only once seen it attempt to kill anything, it was on the ground and had a loose hold of a blackbird and as I chased it into a corner it let go. The blackbird flew off. Mostly, I've just seen the feathers left on the lawn and it seems like Collared Doves are the most common casualties.

• What a brilliant photo.

We have a similar scenario here, I think grey herons are superb looking birds, and we have regular visitors to the garden for one reason only, we have a small pond with fish in.

• It's weird I have a pond that is designed for fish and natural wildlife, its a magnet for birds bathing and unfortunately a couple of Herons sometimes show up! I have lost several prize fish, its a very mixed feeling losing fish you have looked after to a bird that's doing what comes naturally and I also personally admire!
    As people who have great respect for nature, sometimes we have to remind ourselves that the animals will take advantage of artificial situations we created, after all from their perspective they see my pond as easy pickings, its our fault, not theirs, they eat fish and I gave them the situation to do just that, and we must not only accept we are making an environment that nature is not only tolerating but flourishing in!..It's perhaps wise to see the big picture,... but not always easy!
  • wildwaters20 said:
    It's weird I have a pond that is designed for fish and natural wildlife, its a magnet for birds bathing and unfortunately a couple of Herons sometimes show up! I have lost several prize fish, its a very mixed feeling losing fish you have looked after to a bird that's doing what comes naturally and I also personally admire!
    As people who have great respect for nature, sometimes we have to remind ourselves that the animals will take advantage of artificial situations we created, after all from their perspective they see my pond as easy pickings, its our fault, not theirs, they eat fish and I gave them the situation to do just that, and we must not only accept we are making an environment that nature is not only tolerating but flourishing in!..It's perhaps wise to see the big picture,... but not always easy!

You mean something like these two videos?

Blackbird on the fountain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfBVT7K35wI

Heron stalking the fish in our pond!

https://youtu.be/7UV_KIVFJac