RSPB Middleton Lakes 17 March 2019

Sunday promised to be a better weather day than we've had for too long, even though it was very windy, but relatively mild and dry, giving my an excuse to get out.

One of many heron's nesting

While at the Photography Show on Saturday 16th, I treated myself to a new lens, the Canon 24-105 USM MkII, for which this was the first photo taken with it.

Back to the big Sigma lens to snap a black headed gull, only for another to photobomb!

Female Tufted Duck

Male Tufted Duck

Male tufted duck diving....

Male tufted duck having a post dive scratch....

Coot having a bad hair day....  But not as spectacular as the grebe in the next pic

Great Crested Grebe having a bad hair day!

Great Crested Grebe

Black Headed Gull

Reed Bunting

Finally a Long Tailed Tit

There are some in my Middleton Lakes Album on Flickr, while a few more are yet to be uploaded.

• Very nice set, Mike. The ducks are looking at their pristine best ready for the breeding season. I always find herons perched in trees slightly incongruous with their long spindly legs.
  • Happy new lens - they are dangerous to the wallet, these shows!
    Excellent pictures but particularly like the wind-blown Grebe and final Reed Bunting
  • Unknown said:
    Very nice set, Mike. The ducks are looking at their pristine best ready for the breeding season. I always find herons perched in trees slightly incongruous with their long spindly legs.

Thank you.

I tend to find herons  quite majestic when they're up in the trees, but it could be a height thing....

I think the sun made everything just that bit more colourful, especially after the dull period we've been enduring.

• Unknown said:
    Happy new lens - they are dangerous to the wallet, these shows!
    Excellent pictures but particularly like the wind-blown Grebe and final Reed Bunting

Thank you.

Very dangerous these shows, and we never learn....

I've been experimenting with the new lens a little more, and I have to say, it seems to perform far better than the standard 18-55 Canon lens.

• You certainly had a good day out with quite a number of species; the reed bunting is a handsome bird. Your new lens is giving great results on that landscape shot - I have the Mk1 version of it and have always been pleased with it. I didn't dare attend the photo show as it's hard to ignore all those lovely new goodies on display lol Fine set of photos Mike.
    You certainly had a good day out with quite a number of species; the reed bunting is a handsome bird. Your new lens is giving great results on that landscape shot - I have the Mk1 version of it and have always been pleased with it. I didn't dare attend the photo show as it's hard to ignore all those lovely new goodies on display lol Fine set of photos Mike.
    End quote

OK, the Rich Text is throwing a wobbler again/still....

Thank you Hazel, it was a good day at Middleton Lakes, as always, even on the quiet days.