Lens upgrade recommendations please?

Hi all

I haven't really done much (read: any) wildlife photography but, as you might have guessed, have a big interest in birds. Well I picked up my old(ish) camera from my parents house at the weekend that I haven't used in a long time and went to Thurrock Thamside Nature reserve to see what kind of birds I could see and if I could get some decent pictures. The camera I have is a Canon EOS 1200D DSLR, the lens I am using is a standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3 4-5.6 III. 

Being a relative novice when it comes to using a camera the pictures I took, whilst framed ok, offered little in terms of sharpness of the main object. I am guessing that this is because of the a. the distance I was from the subjects (mainly tits, finches) and the lack of focal length with this lens. Does that sound right? 

I would really like to learn more about the camera I have and how to get the best from it, so I will be looking to do that. But I think I will probably need a new lens to assist with the quality of my photographs. Can anyone recommend some lenses that would work with this camera. I'm probably looking at around the £300 mark, second hand. Anything cheaper, great - how would the EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 is STM Lens stack up at around £100 second hand?

Lorri

• You have seen the picture already but here it is again on the net it was dull when I took this so had to up the ISO to 3200 and I cropped it just a little just to frame it, you can see it was taken at 400mm and the shutter was only 1/600 sec for a none IS lens its not turned out to bad but I like to have a fast speed to freeze the subject I would have liked to have had 1/1000 sec but that would  have meant  upping the ISO and this camera would have given a lot of noise so left it at that anyway here is the picture again.

POST EDIT

File Name IMG_3077.CR2
    File Size 33.2MB
    Camera Model Canon EOS 77D
    Firmware Firmware Version 1.0.2
    Shooting Date/Time 20/02/2019 12:21:10
    Author JAMES BENNETT
    Owner's Name 
    Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
    Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/640
    Av(Aperture Value) 6.3
    Metering Mode Spot Metering
    AE lock ON
    Exposure Compensation 0
    ISO Speed 3200
    Auto ISO Speed OFF
    Lens 100-400mm
    Focal Length 400.0mm

• Se pictures taken today on a tripod :) 

100mm

400mm

50 % crop of the last one

• Goldfincher said:

Hi all

I haven't really done much (read: any) wildlife photography but, as you might have guessed, have a big interest in birds. Well I picked up my old(ish) camera from my parents house at the weekend that I haven't used in a long time and went to Thurrock Thamside Nature reserve to see what kind of birds I could see and if I could get some decent pictures. The camera I have is a Canon EOS 1200D DSLR, the lens I am using is a standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3 4-5.6 III. 

Being a relative novice when it comes to using a camera the pictures I took, whilst framed ok, offered little in terms of sharpness of the main object. I am guessing that this is because of the a. the distance I was from the subjects (mainly tits, finches) and the lack of focal length with this lens. Does that sound right? 

I would really like to learn more about the camera I have and how to get the best from it, so I will be looking to do that. But I think I will probably need a new lens to assist with the quality of my photographs. Can anyone recommend some lenses that would work with this camera. I'm probably looking at around the £300 mark, second hand. Anything cheaper, great - how would the EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 is STM Lens stack up at around £100 second hand?

Lorri

Lorri,

As a former Canon 1200D user, I used Canon's own 75-300 lens for some considerable time, successfully. However, it did struggle in poor light conditions where very often the subject would have a purple/blue tinge around the edge. Apart from that, I was more than satisfied with the lens, and I still use it with my 750D.

I posed a similar question around December 2017 but I was looking to go bigger, and I had quite a few recommendations for the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens, which I bought, new.

Yes, it was a lot more £'s than a 75-300, but I'm very impressed with the results and the addition of an optical stabiliser makes one heck of a difference, especially as I'm disabled and struggle with balance when not using a tripod.

I appreciate costs can be and are a primary factor, so I did a quick search found a few used from respectable camera shops, but with Nikon fit, for around £460.

• Jim kindly sent me a lens which I picked up from the post office today. Caught this little guy in the tree in our front garden. One of dozens that lives in there by day

Thanks again Jim

• Thanks (again) Alan, I've changed the size. Looks much better
  • Wow, that's a very nice capture Lorri, when you do upgrade to an IS version you will find out what you have been missing but carry on with this lens and learn the ropes first, welcome to the world of Photography :)
  • Looks like you're in business - we shall expect great things now :-)
  • Just wanted to thank you all for your assistance

In terms of the camera I have, do you think it is worth upgrading this as well?