Lens upgrade recommendations please?

Hi all

I haven't really done much (read: any) wildlife photography but, as you might have guessed, have a big interest in birds. Well I picked up my old(ish) camera from my parents house at the weekend that I haven't used in a long time and went to Thurrock Thamside Nature reserve to see what kind of birds I could see and if I could get some decent pictures. The camera I have is a Canon EOS 1200D DSLR, the lens I am using is a standard EF-S 18-55mm f/3 4-5.6 III. 

Being a relative novice when it comes to using a camera the pictures I took, whilst framed ok, offered little in terms of sharpness of the main object. I am guessing that this is because of the a. the distance I was from the subjects (mainly tits, finches) and the lack of focal length with this lens. Does that sound right? 

I would really like to learn more about the camera I have and how to get the best from it, so I will be looking to do that. But I think I will probably need a new lens to assist with the quality of my photographs. Can anyone recommend some lenses that would work with this camera. I'm probably looking at around the £300 mark, second hand. Anything cheaper, great - how would the EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 is STM Lens stack up at around £100 second hand?

Lorri

• Just noticed have a look at the link below to my picture I would say all those were taken with the 400mm hand held.

POST EDIT

Click on the pictures to see what camera and lens was used

• I really appreciate all of your responses. Would I be better of getting the cheaper 55-250mm STM and learning how to best use my camera and process my images than parting with a substantial amount of money whilst I’m still at a very basic level?
  • I'm not sure tbh. You can practice processing with images taken with your existing lens, what you may find is you very quickly end up frustrated with something too short. It's one of those "Only you can answer" type of questions unfortunately! What I would caution against is buying a lens because it fits your budget rather than meeting your needs - what generally happens then is that you end up splashing out on the more expensive lens anyway, just a few months later. If you're anywhere near Suffolk, I can help you try some of the options (55-250, 300 f/4, 400 f/5.6) I have a Mk2 100-400, but that's double the budget we've been talking about!
  • It would help if we knew the area were you are I am sure a member could let you use a lens for some test shots I did this with someone I met at Leighton Moss the month after he got that lens sadly I will be keeping my 100-400mm for quite a while it to is a sharp lens, I live in Rochdale.
  • Tell you what I will give you a 100x400mm lens all I want is the P&P I was given this years ago but never used it because I had a 70x300mm with IS this lens does not have Is but I will take some pictures with my Canon 77D tomorrow, just to let you see what it can do I just took these hand held.

POST EDIT the lens is a Cosina.

100mm

330mm

100mm

400mm

• Goldfincher said:
    I really appreciate all of your responses. Would I be better of getting the cheaper 55-250mm STM and learning how to best use my camera and process my images than parting with a substantial amount of money whilst I’m still at a very basic level?

I think your are spot on there.

It all depends what you want to do. I love taking photos of birds & get reasonable results from a 70/300 zoom. I also love butterflies & insects & again it's not too bad. I also carry bins because I like looking at birds too. So if I go out for an amble around the lanes I have bins & camera to hand at a moments notice. In the summer I may have my macro lens for better insect photos. When that was being repaired I went back to my trusty old 18/200 lens which was a good substitute.

I certainly wouldn't want to go straight from an 18/55 to 400 prime lens. Go for a zoom & play around for while & see what you want to do most.

• That would be great James. If you can PM me I can give you the address and send you the money for P&P via bank transfer?

I am in Canvey, Essex
  • I have sent you a friend request Lorri, not sure if this will work but this is the lens.

The Lens

• Looks good to me Jim. Would be much appreciated
  • you might have to look for my friend request Lorri, might be top right of the page.