RSPB Conwy 02 Feb 2019

A couple of weeks ago, along with a colleague, we took a trip to Wales and Snowdonia to grab some winter scenes, with Snowdonia enjoying a decent deluge of snow, including a detour to RSPB Conwy. For me, a former mountaineer in all weathers, including snow after completing a winter skills course, it brought back happy memories.

For those who follow me on Flickr, you will have seen the photos by now, but for those who don't, better late than never, here is a selection.

The Snowdon Massif in its winter coat

Afon Idwal with Y Garn in the background.

A starling close by the RSPB Conwy café window.

Shelduck

Looking down the Conwy Valley to the snow covered Carneddau Mountains

Sunbeams down on to the Conwy Valley

Goosander

Widgeon

Goosander diving for food

Lapwing

Pochard

• A good selection of landscapes and birds. Good timing for the Goosander diving.
  • Lovely landscape shots Mike, it certainly is a beautiful part of the country and great that you managed to fit a visit in to Conwy also.
  • Unknown said:
    A good selection of landscapes and birds. Good timing for the Goosander diving.

Thank you Nigel, love the landscape up there, and have spent many hours in the mountains in the past, in all weathers, including snow.

The goosander took quite a few attempts before I got one, the A/F kept dawdling, and by the time I'd got a fix, it was just a ring of ripples. Laughing

That was the one where I pre-empted the focus, set to manual and hoped for the best, and it was.

• Unknown said:
    Lovely landscape shots Mike, it certainly is a beautiful part of the country and great that you managed to fit a visit in to Conwy also.

Thank you Hazel, it is a part of the world I really enjoyed (and still do) getting out in, having spent many hours in the mountains in all weathers, including snow.

it was a whistle-stop tour to capture the mountains in their winter coats, and then a dash over to Conwy for lunch (always nice food and good service there) and a wander, again to capture some more mountains in their inter coats along with the wildlife there as well.