Goosanders at Shakerley Mere Cheshire Jan 2019

This is the first time I have seen goosanders here and there were around 6 of them.

• They are very smart birds and always great to see, even if they rarely allow you to get very close.

I must admit most times I see groups of them there are always more females than males.

Same here. I tend to assume many of the females are in fact juveniles or eclipsed males as sometimes the ratio is very high. This year seems to be bucking the trend a bit for me though and the biggest flock I've seen so far was predominantly male.

• Male Goosanders sre a very smart looking bird,we get them breeding along our local river although we have not seen one yet this year

• How lovely. I've never seen one (or never knowingly!). Really nice reflection which emphasises the odd dip in the end of the beak.
  • Karen, no idea where you are in Suffolk but I was at Abberton Reservoir, between Colchester & Mersea last week on the causeway road(Layer De La Haye Road) and saw quite few Goosanders along with lots of other duck species Pochard, Scaup, Goldeneye, Smew, Teal, Wigeon, Long Tail Duck etc. Just checked sightings and most are still there today.
  • Hi Tony - I live in Ipswich, and have visited Minsmere, Lackford Lakes, Dunwich Heath, Boyton Marsh and Knettishall Heath specifically to see birds... plus of course, Dedham Vale, and our lovely coastline. Very lucky to have such a choice of habitat to visit. Thanks for the tip - must get down there..
  • Karen, been out all day, firstly went to Lynford Arboretum, just north of Thetford today to see Hawfinch, also saw Yellow Hammer, Marsh Tit, Siskin, Bramlingsx30, BT, GT, LTT & more, its a new find for us. Just checked Abberton sightings and Scaup, Blacknecked Grebe & Long Tail Duck still about.