Advice needed on 1st DSLR Camera needed please.

Hi Folks

As most of you know I have been on the forum for a good while now and have always made do with a Bridge Digital Camera, my current camera is a Canon SX30 IS which has been fine but is not good for action shots and will not take multishots per second.

I am looking at going for my 1st DSLR but will be starting off at the cheaper end of the market until I hopefully improve enough to move up the market later on.

I have my eye on 1 of 4 cameras all under £400 and I wondered if any of you nice people have tried any of them and can give advice or have a better recommendation.

1. Canon EOS 1200D DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm Lens.

2. Canon EOS 100D 18MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens

3. Canon EOS 100D 18MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm & 75-300mm lens

4. Sony SLTA58K 20.1MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens - Black.

These 4 cameras I looked up on Argos purely for ideas I am prepared to shop around for better deals for the right camera, that will offer multishots as well as being a good al round camera. I know I have the Canon EOS 100D twice but the second one had an extra lens for better zooming.

I am open still for Bridge Camera offers but I feel the DSLR should take better photos once I get usedd to it?

Thanks in advance for any advice given as it will be gratefully received.

• TJ makes a good point about checking out Nikon, definitely worth picking one up to handle as well.  The main benefit of sticking to Canon or Nikon (over the others like Sony, Pentax etc) is the availability of 3rd party (eg Tamron/Sigma lenses)& second hand kit, so for anyone on a budget, that's a definite plus

It's probably worth warning you that you may find very quickly that 250/300mm isn't enough length for a lot of birding and you'll want to look at 400mm+, so beware telling the Financial Controller that it's a one off purchase :-)

• Hi Shane,   I've just seen a deal on the 100D   HERE -  not sure how it compares to other prices but thought I'd notify you just in case.     i agree with WJ that you will need a longer zoom for most wildlife/bird photography and I now wish I'd have gone for a 400mm lens instead of the 70-300 although I mustn't grumble  lol        I've got my eye on a prime lens with extender but my financial controller has the account under lock and key  and double password coded  lol 

• Looks a good price - it's the non-STM lens, but the speed of autofocus isn't as essential with a general purpose lens (people and scenery don't move as fast as birds!)  I would definitely recommend STM or USM focussing for a telephoto though

• Great to see you are thinking of joining Team DSLR, Shane! If you are still deliberating, you're welcome to have a go with my D300 and a couple of different lenses next time we go birding. And re secondhand, for what it's worth all my gear apart from my teleconverter was bought used (that's 2 camera bodies and four lenses) and I've been v happy with it all.

• Thanks all I decided to go for the Canon 700d with a second lens in the package the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens. I know its a bit of an old lens and the reviews have been very varied but I got the whole lot for £422. I wiil definately be up for trying some of your lenses M it will give me some ideas of wht to look out for second hand. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive not holding out much luck with it being a bank holiday weekend.

• You'll have a great time with it I'm sure, the 700's a nice camera.  Aiki's Nikon lenses won't be much use on the front of it though, they'll fall off :-)  You'll have to have a trip up to Minsmere instead & you can try some of my Canon ones

• The wife and I are thinking of a trip up there one weekend with an overnight stay somewhere if it happens I will let you know Joe.

• Well done on taking the plunge, Shane. Looks like you got a good deal and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• Thanks Tony I am open for lessons when out and about.

• If you're after info or have questions, don't hesitate to ask on here either - and (shameless plug) don't forget these two threads

Getting off Auto

Getting off Auto 2 - Exposure