Camera advice please - pretty please?

I have a Nikon D5100 and use a 55-300 lens for bird photos.  I know this is not really good enough as all the little darlings are usually too far away.  I am new to photography as well as birding (couple of years with this my first SLR).  I am going to put on here some photos - some I'm pleased with others disappointed.  It could well be that I am not any good, or that I am trying to achieve the impossible with my equipment.  I know I don't know my camera well and am trying to get to grips with the manual and also just to experiment with different settings.  I never use auto; usually aperture priority but recently tried manual to get faster shutter speed and then adjust the focal length for exposure.  I saw seymouraves post about his lumix.  I rang Wex photography in Norwich who said don't bother with anything like a bridge camera (sorry if the camera you were referring to is NOT a bridge … ) as I will lose quality.  What does anyone else here think?  I’ve also read whistling Joe’s posts on photography, really helpful.  I realise I don’t understand depth of field properly, only a vague idea really.  I can neither afford nor carry large lenses as when I go out there’s only me to carry it all and I have to carry my flask and sarnies as well – can’t sacrifice lunch!  I am happy to spend £500 on another camera if I will get good quality bird/wildlife images and then use my DSLR more for landscapes.  I was looking at the Canon Coolpix P900; SX60; Nikon P610.  My camera really doesn't like ISO over 640 and that's pushing it.  The 3 avocet were moving and so was I (in a boat), the stone curlews were a long way away ...  the shorteared owl was some distance away - the flight one took me by surprise; I think I just messed up on the blacktailed godwit.Thanks so much if anyone has any comments to help me improve or to adjust my expectations …. 

Oh, and I won't post the other 5000 shots ...

Jill

• i dont think you can ever fully blame the equipment. i have seen many amazing pictures from some rubbish cameras. i am only a novice/hobbyist myself and i am using a budget bridge camera with good results so far. i guess it depends on what you want to use the images for. some of mine have been used on tv but mostly i just take pictures to keep myself occupied whilst stuck at home (or on a park bench while my hubby walks the dogs) because of disability.

from what you've posted i cant see anything wrong with your pictures but I hope you find satisfaction soon. x

• Thanks Naomi, sorry for delay in replying but I have had a 3 week holiday (Grasmere, Scotland, Northumberland, Yorkshire) and been taking loads of photos as you can imagine.  I think the main problems are: 1) me (not very good, like the curate's egg good in parts 2) trying to ask too much of the equipment (eg distance) 3) me again, not having good enough experience and knowledge.  I'll sort out a few photos to post as I took some of white tailed eagle but they are under exposed (sad face) and if anyone can help to get some detail out I'd be delighted ... Watch this space (well, another post I expect). BW Jill

Jill

• Hi-

www.flickr.com/.../24915371@N02

Most of these taken with this-

Black-Bellied Plover- USA 2014-  400th sec ISO 100 - distance approx. 17 feet

HOWEVER-  you must remember I am of a generation that grew up playing cowboys and Indians and that is  great training for stalking birds

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box