Out Of Focus. Updated 09/11/13

Looking for some advice and possibly some tips regarding zoom lens and focusing at distance. As usual nothing is ever straightforward. I was kindly given a damaged lens(Sigma 170-500mm 1:5-6.3APO DG) with the instructions ‘if you can fix it you can keep it’. The lens mount was hanging off the lens and the internal switch to change from manual to auto focus was, and still is broken. I managed to set the switch to auto focus and secure the lens mount back on. The lens now works fine but on auto focus only. I have had great results when shooting garden birds at relatively short distances (where auto focus is advantageous due to the rapid movements of the small birds), but cannot seem to get sharp pictures when trying for more distant subjects. Even on bright days with high shutter speeds and using self-timer, I am getting good exposures but always lacking sharpness. I realise that this lens is more at the budget end of the market for such things and was not expecting spectacular results, but was hoping for decent images at distances of 100m or so. Has anyone had similar problems like this and would any of the following make any great difference?

1. Would having the lens repaired professionally so as to be able to use manual focus at distance be worthwhile?(possibly at much expense)
  2. Would buying a 1.4x teleconverter bring things in closer to aid autofocus? (Realising that I would lose 1 stop of aperture).

Camera used is a Canon EOS500D.

I would very much appreciate any tips or advice anyone might have regarding this.

Many thanks in advance

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Hi Paul

I have just come across this thread again and will have to go through it but you have asked about the Exif file, any picture taken with a camera will have the Exif embedded in the picture, it’s when you save it after it can be stripped from it, if you save for the web then its stripped from it when using Photoshop but at the time of saving if you click on save As and tick the box next to ICC Profile the Exif will be saved with the picture, so if anyone downloads your picture they will be able to look at the Exif to see the settings another way which to me is quicker is an Exif addon to Firefox once installed you left click on a picture and go through the menu and click on View image Exif Data this shows all the details about the picture, the day time it was taken the camera the lens and all the settings even I still look at others pictures to see what setting they used :)

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Hi Jim

Have been looking at some of my pictures and can now see the Exifs attached to them as you describe. I can see that this may be a useful aid in accessing what's went wrong (or right) when checking my images. Also as you say it sounds like a useful way to learn how others set up their cameras. Will certainly have a look for this now. Many thanks for the info.

Paul  

My bird photos HERE

• An excellent sequence of test shots Paul - they definitely show the improvement from stopping the lens down a bit.  When you stop down a lot, the pictures start to get soft again, partly due to diffraction, but quite likely also due to the very slow shutter speed.  Even on a tripod, at that sort of shutter speed (you mention things like 1/40th sec) at 500mm, you're going to get a bit of vibration, either from the breeze or even from the mirror slap in the camera (there's a function called mirror lockup that can help with that - it locks the mirror up with one shutter press, takes the pic on the second press).

Bearing in mind how grey and horrible the weather was, I reckon you should be able to get some decent shots from the lens once the sun comes out - better light will give better contrast, more reliable focussing and allow a higher shutter speed.  It's always going to be a bit of a balancing act between shutter, ISO noise and wide-open softness, but it certainly doesn't look as though the lens is terminally damaged :-)

I like your tripod weight, though it might get you a few strange looks walking around :-)  You'll find many tripods without that central support bracing have a hook underneath the head, specifically to hang a weight on.  Normally the camera bag is ideal :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• Thanks Joe. Was thinking the same thing regarding possibly getting some decent shots in brighter conditions. Can remember reading about mirror lock up when I got my camera and will be reading about it again as you suggest. On the look out for tripods now and will keep an eye out for features such as you've mentioned. Thanks again.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• I've been reading this thread & this is really fascinating. I have a nikon dslr & I use a sigma 120-400 zoom for long shots. I've often been disappointred with the results, although I probably expect too much at a long distance, for flying birds & no tripod. Often photos are taken propped on the window of the camper which we use as a hide when parked up. I'll definately give this f/8 to f/11 a try, I usually keep it set on speed priority at 1/500 to avoid shake!! I also use it on P. Rarely on automatic because I have a small square for focusing.

So thankyou so much to all the contributors to this thread.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• I usually get a couple of shots off before we cut the engine in case the bird flies off, then if it stays, try & get better ones with the engine off. If the bird flies off as we stop, as often happens its a mad scramble to get a photo. Then theres the problem of exposure for birds against the sky as opposed to birds in trees or on posts....Still, if it was easy it'd be boring wouldn't it!!

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Lots of very good advice given, Paul, and it is nice to see details of the settings after the fact.

If I use the car window Noisette, I would use a bean bag placed over the glass and have the lens near the hood resting on it this will help steady the camera and lens even more and don’t be afraid to use a higher shutter speed I will take mine up and over 1,000 sec to get sharper pictures.

Jim

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Can't add much in way of advice, but most Sigma lenses are a bit 'soft' at full stretch. (sorry Sigma users, me included) Back off a bit ,say 450ish, and don't go below f8. Have a look on Redsnapper website for tripods. Pretty good, and reasonably priced. I have a 3 section one, which stands over 6 feet, (cos I am over 6 feet) heavy in comparison with some, but very sturdy. Manfrotto are also worth considering. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Take care all, Stich.

My gallery Here  Flickr Here    

• Thanks for advice Stich. Will check out Redsnapper site. Got to have a look at a Manfrotto today when I was out and about. A very sturdy and heavy tripod it was too. Will need to read some reviews and do a bit of looking around. There's so much choice out there.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thanks Alan. Just had a quick look there. Should be very helpful. Will check it out in more detail. Much appreciated.

Paul

My bird photos HERE