Geese Returning?

A very large skein of geese flew over us in the wee hours of this morning........surely this is not the greylags or  pinkfooted geese returning for winter already, its only mid August? 
They were flying south of Inverness towards Loch Ruthven direction. Anyone know if this is likely or are they UK residents?

• Hello Elizabeth,

Sorry it has taken so long to answer your query.

It is a little early for the autumn return of our truly wild geese such as the migratory barnacle and greylag geese, but could they perhaps have been naturalised Canada geese, which are resident year round in Britain?

Canada geese are native to North America and were introduced into St James's Park in London in 1665. They have steadily increased in number and can now be found at almost all suitable waterbodies.

In North America, many Canada geese undertake a northerly moult migration after the breeding season. This instinct is retained by some of our own naturalised population, who undertake a similar movement to the Beauly Firth in north eastern Scotland, especially those that bred in the West Midlands and Yorkshire.

When moulting, they become flightless, so the loch offers them safety from predators. The area around Beauly Firth is also exceptionally fertile, so the geese also enjoy excellent grazing opportunites.

Canada geese are usually very vocal, so can be identified by their calls. You can listen to a recording of this distinctive nasal call on our website here.   

Best wishes,

Darren

Leave only footprints, kill only time.

• Thank you very much for taking the time with such an informative reply Darren.  It certainly added to my education on the movements of Canada Geese which I was previously unaware of.
    A neighbour apparently saw the Geese and yes........they were Canada Geese.

Best wishes
    Liz

• Elizabeth M said:

A very large skein of geese flew over us in the wee hours of this morning........surely this is not the greylags or  pinkfooted geese returning for winter already, its only mid August? 
    They were flying south of Inverness towards Loch Ruthven direction. Anyone know if this is likely or are they UK residents?

Hi Elizabeth

We had our first returning pink footed geese on Monday 7th September, three family parties totalling 14 birds. Today  9th September we have had approximately 150 fresh arrivals so they are on their way.

Dominic

Dom

• Hi Elizabeth

I am so glad to have found someone else who has seen geese in August. I saw a huge skein of pinks on 22/09 & my husband thought I'd gone doolally!! However over the following week he also saw other skeins & came home to say he was also going doolaly as he had seen more too!!

Since then we have seen geese on a daily basis & although it was early they have continued. We are Bridge of Cally, Perthshire

Valmc

One Life - Live It!!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 16/09/2009 06:38 in reply to Valmc

Great thread Elizabeth

Interesting to hear about the gatherings of Canada Geese in your patch.   I went for a walk along the Great river Ouse, Bedford yesterday afternoon, and I felt the river's edge was devoid of Canada Geese. There was one or two Greylag hybrids around but they are ones that like to be around all old the time as they are so well feed by the public.  They know a good thing when they find it.

So thank you everyone for explaining their disappearance to us and that has put to rest all the thoughts of where they might be hiding at the moment.

Like you, it is great to see them in the winter months feeding from the fields.  While living in rural Scotland (Stirling and Aberdeen) we where lucky to see the local Greylag/Pink Feet geese come in for their 'daily'  gatherings and it was good of 'some' farmers to leave out 'sugerbeets' for them to eat.

It is a great sight to behold and one never tires of seeing them at all.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Valmc said:

Hi Elizabeth

I am so glad to have found someone else who has seen geese in August. I saw a huge skein of pinks on 22/09 & my husband thought I'd gone doolally!! However over the following week he also saw other skeins & came home to say he was also going doolaly as he had seen more too!!

Since then we have seen geese on a daily basis & although it was early they have continued. We are Bridge of Cally, Perthshire

Valmc

• Geese migration is now in full swing up in north east Scotland. We had our first large arrival here at Loch of Strathbeg today with at least 2200 pink footed geese loafing on the low ground mid afternoon.

Dom

• Unknown said:

Geese migration is now in full swing up in north east Scotland. We had our first large arrival here at Loch of Strathbeg today with at least 2200 pink footed geese loafing on the low ground mid afternoon.

We had a flock of geese heading south over Aberdeen today. The first I've seen. Were they yours? ;-)

Make the most of today because, unlike Sky+, there isn't a rewind button.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 17/09/2009 02:06 in reply to Dominic Funnell

hi Dominic - great to hear about all the news to do with the Geese.

We used to stay at a place called Tertowie, (for over 2 years) close to Blackburn, Aberdeenshire, and the Geese liked to use the fields close to the motorway.

Makes me wish I could see them still but sadly not to be.

Great to hear the news from other people who reside in the local area.of Scotland.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Geese migration is now in full swing up in north east Scotland. We had our first large arrival here at Loch of Strathbeg today with at least 2200 pink footed geese loafing on the low ground mid afternoon.

• My husband works with someone who used to live in Tertowie. Small world :)

Make the most of today because, unlike Sky+, there isn't a rewind button.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 17/09/2009 03:37 in reply to paula

hi Paula

Tertowie is a small place to live in - just one country lane and that was about it.

Yes,  Tertowie is a small place and not many people knew of its existance

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Paula A said:

My husband works with someone who used to live in Tertowie. Small world :)