Flock size

• A brief update: Local expertise says that Golden Plovers (here) migrate only at night and only in small groups. But can't come up with an explanation for what I saw.

I've dropped BirdLife Switzerland a line. Will see what they come back with.

Best regards -
    Dave
  • Keep us updated please Dave, Golden Plover breed on our local moors so I have an interest in them

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Will do Pete. I normally get feedback quickly from Sempach, depending a little on who's on holiday.
  • For the record, Sempach (BirdLife Switzerland) says Wood Pigeons and cites recently observed local flocks of up to 6,000. Although I'm convinced that the flight action was wrong for the species.

Another of life's little mysteries (which is, I suppose, why we keep looking).

Thanks for trying to help me out.

All the best -
    Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    For the record, Sempach (BirdLife Switzerland) says Wood Pigeons

Pigeons had the biggest quantity on the web site I said about, too, Dave

• Dave I remember Bill Oddie (remember him?) saying never discount Wood Pigeons as their shape seems to copy so many species. Here in the U K we do get big numbers arriving from mainland Europe every winter and walking our local fields they may be arriving about now.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

PimperneBloke said:
    on the web site I said about

Yes, I remember that PB.

Just didn't look like pigeons to me. Which is why I was striking about for other explanations.

FYI---ornitho is, if you like, the "official" website for recording sightings. It's monitored (I'm sure in an automated, rules-based manner) by Vogelwarte. So, if you post a Blue Tit, they're not interested. But if you post a Blue Tit on the North Face, you get an automated contact message (the same if, say, you claim to be able to sex Spotted Flycatchers). Then, there's a bit of dialogue and you're invited to submit your sighting for consideration by the SAK, with a lot of information including terrain, prevailing weather conditions and light, optics used, consideration of confusion species, etc. 

We've been posting on it for many years, and I do believe it was TeeJay who drew our attention to it (thank you Tony).

You can post online, and there's also an app (NaturaList) for posting.

A number of countries use it (Italy, for example).

To be honest, it's not really important what they were (well, it is to them of course). I was just trying to learn a bit more, and what I saw was new for me.

All the best - 

Dave 

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    Bill Oddie (remember him?)

Of course. I, and all cats, know of Bill. 

Wendy S said:
    never discount Wood Pigeons as their shape seems to copy so many species

That's very good advice, and I'd (with my limited experience) agree.

I suppose part of the problem for me with this observation is that we had just driven through France, where there are currently tremendous numbers of Wood Pigeons (and tremendous numbers of blokes in hi-viz gear shooting them, and each other).

So, we'd just spent two days seeing huge flocks, including at altitude and on the move. And the birds I saw just wasn't they, kind of thing.

But as I said, it can remain a mystery. It's not like it's the only thing I've not be able to identify  ;-)

All the best -

Dave