To (no longer) absent friends

• Thanks, Dave, for the cheery report of your Swifts. Glad to hear you and Mrs Dave are well, too.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Me and Mrs PB are well thanks, not much has changed for me, still working as normal.... well, going to work as normal, just the "off work" time has changed. Mrs PB has been working from home (or is that surfing the net and buying stuff I didn't know we needed!!). To be fair, we moved house just as lock down hit so we've been pootling in the garden a bit, and we needed new curtains etc.

Your list of birds is making me jealous....and I'm still waiting for the invite to your "en-suite lean-to" lol

Stay safe
  • In reply to Gardenbirder:

Gardenbirder said:
    Thanks, Dave,

Thank you Ann; I hope you too are doing OK.

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

PimperneBloke said:
    Me and Mrs PB are well

Very glad to hear that PB. It sounds like the move was good timing for you. There's always a lot to do in a new place, no?

Here, things haven't really changed much for me either, as I already work from a home office. Our endoscope has just arrived, so today I'll be drilling observation holes in some new swift nesting boxes that we've put up. Before any young couples show an interest.

Jealous? I always say that people would take a hazardous canoe safari up an uncharted river at great expense and even personal risk, and all to see a Chaffinch. If they weren't already hanging out in the garden.

Beautiful birds are everywhere. But I know you know that.

The lean-to. Hmmm... yes, that's still a plan. Let's see to what extent we all come out of this, eh? Personally, I enjoyed seeing fewer planes in the sky. I wonder whether we'll get back to business-as-usual, or instead end up in a Michael Moorcock short story (I've a particular one in mind).

I've recently been correcting a text for a BirdLife International partner; part of my volunteering. The author makes the point (eloquently, as usual) that 'business-as-usual' is normally part of why we get into any given mess. And that expecting a return to it isn't very wise.

Let's hope that some good things come out of this, eh? And let's keep admiring those Chaffinches.

• When you first mentioned the endoscope I thought perhaps Mrs Dave was in for a "treat"!
    I wouldn't fly to visit you Dave, I'd canoe up your alpine incline!! lol
    The writer you're working with sounds very wise!

Take care and Stay Safe

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:

Michael B said:
    nets

Mike. I don't think I'm going to ask about that. Doesn't sound like there's a happy ending in there.

We found a House Martin colony destroyed close to our previous place, and after a great struggle, and thanks to superb support from BirdLife Switzerland, managed to get a prosecution going. Yes, it's a crime, of course.

Still waiting to hear the result. But it's only been almost three years...

Dave, the issue was very widely publicised last spring, here is a BBC News article:

RSPB warns Bacton cliffs netting 'could kill' birds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47859604

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to PimperneBloke:

PimperneBloke said:
    a "treat"

I'd be straight down to A&E if I tried that, PB.

We got it for the nesting boxes, and I'm thinking it might help out with the drains at some point.

He is, indeed, very wise. I sometimes have to stop reading. His texts can be very moving.

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:
    the issue was very widely publicised last spring

A sad story, Mike. Birds and nets isn't such a good mix (and one doesn't need a PhD to work that out).

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:

Michael B said:
    the issue was very widely publicised last spring

A sad story, Mike. Birds and nets isn't such a good mix (and one doesn't need a PhD to work that out).

Sadly, we're no better here, I'm slap bang in the middle of HS2 construction, and the amount of woodland destruction going on as I type is heartbreaking!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Michael B said:
    the amount of woodland destruction going on as I type is heartbreaking

Sorry to hear that, MIke.

Hang on in there. 'You may drive out nature with a pitchfork, yet...' (etc.) And that's worth keeping in mind.