[2020] Arrival of Swallows and House Martins

Here in South Cambridgeshire, I've seen my first Swallow (Sunday 5th April) and my first House Martin (today, Thursday 9th April). 

Will be on the lookout for the Swifts next!

Anyone else seen any of these birds already this year? If so, where and when? 

• Well captured Mike, so hard to catch these super fast birds on camera. I'm still getting over the thrill of seeing the pair of swallows that usually perch on the overhead wires by our rental property on the ground for a few seconds yesterday early evening ! my eyes are bad but I had binoculars to make sure and no mistaking that banana shape, red throat and long wings !
  • Unknown said:
    Well captured Mike, so hard to catch these super fast birds on camera. I'm still getting over the thrill of seeing the pair of swallows that usually perch on the overhead wires by our rental property on the ground for a few seconds yesterday early evening ! my eyes are bad but I had binoculars to make sure and no mistaking that banana shape, red throat and long wings !

I'm happy to say, it was pure luck, after taking many, actually, lots and lots photos.

• Swallows, Swifts and House Martins today (10-05-2020) at gravel pit near Sawston. Were around a week or so ago too. Both times in strong wind.
  • May 12th
    We used to have about 20 pairs of house martins nesting around my mother’s house in Kintbury, West Berks.
    Last year numbers were depleted to about half.
    This year the colony has still not returned despite there being some passing through the area, On Hungerford (Portdown) Common about 2 miles away, martins, swallows and swifts are happily congregating in large numbers to feed (near the sewage station adjacent to the Kennet and Avon Canal.)
    I saw one pair of martins here towards end April fly in and out of one of the nests; but even they seem to have moved on. And, as others report, a growing number of sparrows are taking up residence in the empty nests. So, if/when the martins return there’s going to be a bit of a bun-fight.
    I feel very sad that none of ‘our’ martins have yet arrived; let’s just hope they’ve postponed travel arrangements to a safer date!
    Kate, Kintbury.
  • I live in north Bedfordshire. House martins arrived on 10th April, swallows on 11th April and swifts on 25th April (at least this is when I first noticed them and I do keep an eye out for them from beginning of April onwards). There seem to be fewer house martins than in previous years.
  • Just registered so new to this , but delighted to say that for the first time ever we have some house martins at our place . They arrived yesterday and are nest building on the side of a window vent ( not ideal ) but having read about them being on an Amber status and in decline we are honoured to have them here . We’ve seen them locally in previous years but never here . Swallows arrived mid April and are nesting in their usual shed . Mid Pembrokeshire , Wales.
  • Our housemartins (I thought swallows) usually arrive April & as we live in a rural village in NE Scotland next to a field most of the houses in our street have nests (we all mostly have pitched parts to our rooves) anyway this year no sign until a few weeks ago- a pair started to build a nest which is very late! We noticed a lot of the ‘mud’ on our window sill & drive but saw a bird sitting on almost a ledge. It’s quite windy here but if I’m out sunbathing I see them going to the nest-I didn’t see them today & not finished & don’t see others & their ‘ ch ch’ sound although I know their poo! Something is wrong- any ideas?