Migration - Autumn 2015

• In reply to Shane:

I wonder if the Wood Pigeons are moving from their roost to the feeding grounds,also we get incomers from Europe during the winter when countries like Germany get frozen.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

6000+ Wood Pigeons reported off Dawlish Warren this morning with over 1000+ seen flying over the Estuary in 20 minutes from my window around the same time. Still they keep coming...amazing to see so many birds heading SW.

• In reply to Derek C:

Another interesting hour this morning from first light til 08:30. Wood Pigeons were again flying south over the town in flocks of 30 to 200+ strong. What was also interesting was the amount of Redwing and Fieldfare flocks heading south as well. I must have seen 500+ birds in the first hour of light this morning. The rain and drizzle started then everything stopped. About 30 birds dropped in to the garden to have breakfast. Do these birds know something we don't and leaving the country before snow?!

• In reply to Derek C:

Another report on Wood Pigeon migration well over 10,000+ birds counted in one hour. My good friend Matt Knott photographs every flock he saw 07:45 to 09:00 and then started counted them!! He's still counting bless him!!

well over 850+ birds in this picture....

I couldn't get out to join Matt this morning but again saw flocks from my bedroom window. Just looked on Devon Birds website and huge flocks were seen right along the south Devon coast. Another amazing winter spectacle.... 

• In reply to Derek C:

Another late report today from Sidmouth 36,000+ Wood Pigeons flew west from first light until 11:00 when he went home.... they'd take a lot of feeding!

• In reply to Derek C:

Almost unbelievable numbers of Wood Pigeons on the move Derek, does anyone track where they end up?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Hi Wendy thanks for your reply.... it is believed some stay in the UK and many migrate to France via northern continent however i just found this on the web where this birder has said....

The Wood Pigeon is resident and mostly sedentary though in the autumn and winter they fly twice-daily between roosts and feeding areas.

Scandinavian Wood Pigeons are migratory and many pass through Britain on their autumnal migration to France and Spain, some inevitably stay for the winter in Britain.

Sounds plausible to me. Another few thousand came through today....

• In reply to Derek C:

Thanks for that info Derek, see on Newport Wetlands thread that Colin saw a number of WP's there too this weekend!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr