Migration Spring 2015

For those who take an interest in this bi-annual event i thought i'd make a start on the passage and arrival of birds seen off and around Exmouth on there way north or to stay with us for the breeding season.

I'll try not to bore you with every bird! but hopefully once something different is seen in the south we could see how quickly the country is populated with different species i.e. Swallows, Martins, and Swifts. Some migrants will travel over night where they won't be seen until they drop in further north or first seen at their breeding grounds, which would be good to mention them to.

Some of our winter visitors have started to move on. Last week our Avocets numbered 200+ down from 600+ in January, yesterday an observer counted only 30+ so birds are on the move.

The first Sandwich Tern was seen fishing over the sandbars off of Exmouth yesterday morning.

If this is of interest to you and want a day by day account of what is arriving or moving then the Portland Bird Observatory and field centre Dorset may be worth a visit. http://portlandbirdobs.blogspot.co.uk/search they get some great birds passing through. They also trap Moths on the Bill which will be of interest to some of our bloggers. There is alway a good photo or two on this website to.

I'll do it just for fun!