RSPB news. RSPB are changing there logo and why

• In reply to THOMO:

I think the forum being slow has something to do with one of the servers and that’s why it’s been like that for years. When things slow down and another thing happens that might cause some technical probloms and slow it down even more or receives too much information at once than things can crash. But im wondering how changeing the logo on the RSPB website would cause it too slow down even more and crash

• I agree that the logo change in itself won't be causing the issue. But, the logo change would only be one outward facing change. That could well have coincided with other changes, incl background ones, like changing the hosting, 'upgrading hardware', changing the I.T. support company or people, changing the processing, etc etc.

Whatever the reason, this is going down as another botch. Again, no UAT (User acceptance testing), no consultation, and as mentioned prev., not clear what is trying to be achieved as in my mind, the logo element has barely changed and is really just a copy of prev but with inaccurate colours added which don't even represent three different aspects as there's only two colours!
  • In reply to Zo Clark:

Zo Clark said:

I know. I wasn’t referring to you I was referring to people in general cause the RSPB are changeing there icon everywhere. But apart from that Iv noticed even though there changeing the icon everywhere they havnt changed all there icons yet for example on the Duck Duck go search engine I use to go on the RSPB website on the search results it will look like this

With RSPB website and there shop there’s still a inconsistency

I know that you weren't referring to me in particular in the same way that when I wrote

"It's not a case of "I like the old one better because I'm used to it ", it's more a case of is there any need to spend money and man hours changing a logo in these austere times.

I too was referring to lots of people possibly thinking the same.

(PS It would really help if you quoted pieces that you are replying to).

• Also as it’s austere timea. Like everything else I'm having to cut out on things myself. But when i see an uograge like this. It make’s me wonder why. More could be spent on reserves,, wildlife etc. Instead the RSPB upgrade there website. Then as usual the RSPB have appeals asking for money. Then the RSPB upgrade therr website. When the RSPB do this it makes me less likely to suppott appeals and donating financially. I'm having to cut back myself. Thank goodness i have my senior citizens concessionary travel pass. But it wouldn't surprise me if senior citizens like myself lose that as everything ekse us being cut. But then the RSPB upgrade there website. But I'm not surprised by this!

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to ItisaRobbo:

ItisaRobbo said:
    I agree that the logo change in itself won't be causing the issue. But, the logo change would only be one outward facing change. That could well have coincided with other changes, incl background ones, like changing the hosting, 'upgrading hardware', changing the I.T. support company or people, changing the processing, etc etc.

Whatever the reason, this is going down as another botch. Again, no UAT (User acceptance testing), no consultation, and as mentioned prev., not clear what is trying to be achieved as in my mind, the logo element has barely changed and is really just a copy of prev but with inaccurate colours added which don't even represent three different aspects as there's only two colours!

I fully agree with the background issues vs the logo change, and it's very likely the background operating software will have a bigger impact than what we see, because much will actually be steering what you see.

Sadly the "no user acceptance testing" seems to be a regular problem across many portals, not just here. I'm getting extremely disillusioned with many apps from larger organisations, who should perform better, and operating inefficiencies that they now herald. My biggest gripe, along with many others is predictive text!

As for the forum itself, I suspect it may have limited bandwidth (operators can set how much space each portal has, just as you can select how much space each folder can use on any drive unit of your computer, or even portable devices) and whereas many can post without issue most of the time, if someone is just joining in during a busy period, that could be why they have problems. It does seem that way sometimes when I logon during a busy time. I guess the easiest way to describe it, is if you're on a journey and you join the back of a traffic queue on a narrow road, those at the front will move a little faster, while those at the back will be slower, until they reach the bottleneck and pass through it.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In IT, the approach is sometimes the following:
    Change it the way you want it changed, and live with the fact that users (spits) will be unhappy with, say, 30 points, on the grounds that after they've been using it for a few weeks those 30 points will be whittled down to 6, of which you may decide to "fix" 1. If you're in a good mood.

With regards to performance (and I'm only commenting on the last week or so), this Community has intermittent but fundamental problems.
    For work purposes, I regularly run with dozens of tabs open (sometimes a hundred or so), in several browsers.
    I've not experienced any performance issues this last week or so, except with this site. And that in any browser I care to try.
    Aren't we lucky that no one uses these forums as their first port of call when looking for advice on sick or injured animals.
    Oh. Hmmm... Well... Yes.

Dave
  • It will be interesting to see how 1st of July goes.......if the processing cause that monthly issue has changed to 'incremental daily' it may have been done to solve the 1st of the month problem. I've no problem with overnight disruption, and I'd count 4-5am as overnight. However, changes should be communicated......

ItisaRobbo said:
    However, changes should be communicated......

Not something that has happened a lot over the last years so no real surprise there.

ItisaRobbo said:
    It will be interesting to see how 1st of July goes.......if the processing cause that monthly issue has changed to 'incremental daily' it may have been done to solve the 1st of the month problem. I've no problem with overnight disruption, and I'd count 4-5am as overnight. However, changes should be communicated......

From a business perspective, 8am would probably be the start of business hours, which would put early risers like myself in the dark.

My former employer operated 24/7, and being a car manufacturer, had to choose carefully when these updates/changes were to be made. Most were made during factory shutdown weeks (summer, Easter, Christmas), and therefore the development and management teams, who had flexible holidays as against fixed holidays, often endured reduced services.

But for major urgent upgrades/changes, then production would have a down day(s), where no production took place while systems undertook the necessary work. However, no one got paid for standing around, in the production areas, general maintenance would take place, like cleaning work areas, painting floor markings, and many other tasks.

Added to that, because some cars would require some tweaks before being dispatched, certain employees with the right skills would go and support the areas where this work was undertaken.

And i'm sure many other manufacturers would undertake similar scenarios.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• The last logo change was only in 2013. It was hailed as appearing more friendly and less 'shouty' in a Birdwatch article of the time. The letters were changed to lower case (grammatically incorrect for an acronym, but never mind) and some lines of the avocet were erased. For that the artist received £30,000. The logo change was estimated by the RSPB to have cost "in the low hundreds of thousands", and £2-£3million for the total rebrand (uniforms, etc). Now eight years later it has been scrapped and the new letters have reverted to uppercase (back to 'shouty'!). The cost will be similar, but phased in gradually so there is no one big noticeable chunk paid out in one go. What a terrible waste of time and money all this is.