Interesting news from the Blue Planet. Over fishing, Bycatch, and the Speacial Bluefin Tuna .

• Interesting.

I am partial to tuna, a very tasty fish, however, over the years I have reduced considerably my intake. There have been concerns about the mercury content from mercury polluted waters where tuna inhabit and are fished.

The science seems to have gone very quiet, but it is still out there, and the concerns are still very real.

We do need to look after our oceans and seas, as well as the land, and it's not something we're being very good at.

I often wonder as a over consuming species if we ever will.....

I doubt in my lifetime.

• It is interesting. Im vegetarian so I dont eat things from animals like meat. And I don’t eat fish either. And fish food wise I Exspeacially don’t like Tuna. So I don’t have to reduce my intake. I  eat things that are vegetarian like veggie burger or other things designed for People who are vegetarians cause I know things like meat and fish and most of the food we eat come from animals. With the exception of things grown from the ground or fruit and berry’s from trees. I became a vegetarian in 2020.

• Zo Clark said:

It is interesting. Im vegetarian so I dont eat things from animals like meat. And I don’t eat fish either. And fish food wise I Exspeacially don’t like Tuna. So I don’t have to reduce my intake. I  eat things that are vegetarian like veggie burger or other things designed for People who are vegetarians cause I know things like meat and fish and most of the food we eat come from animals. With the exception of things grown from the ground or fruit and berry’s from trees. I became a vegetarian in 2020.

What do you feed wild birds? I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 5 years old and born in 1952 and I’ill be 70 in May of this year. I’ve seen many on this forum many asking what type of vegetarian food to feed wild bird. Even though I’ve been 100% vegetarian since I turned 5 years old and I don’t eat fish either. But I do put non-vegetarian food for wild birds if that type of food is not safe and wild animal is not safe for that Wild bird   food that is bad for them. So even though I’m 100% vegetarian, I don’t feed to any bird food that is not safe or good to any wild birds and animals. So I still feed food that is safe for wild birds and wild animals items that may include non-vegetarian food as that is what some wild birds need to have. Lots of vegetarians on this forum in the past have asked  about what can they feed wild birds with vegetarian food and some wild birds have to avoid some type of vegetarian food. Also feeding dogs and cats you have to feed them non-vegetarian food. Just because lots of humans have become vegetarian. Lots want to feed only vegetarian food 100% to any wildlife. And that can be dangerous to lots of wild birds and wild animals and completely wrong!

Regards,

Ian.

•  These some replies by me to another post and also reply from another member about what to feed wild birds.

Regards,

Ian.

• I was saying that luckily for me in my case Cause I don’t eat Tuna I havnt ever had to reduce my Tuna intake.  I know what food is safe food and what food isn’t. And I only feed Wildlife safe food. And I don’t feed them any food from the house. I’m very cautious about giving food to Wildlife and must be sure there safe Otherwise if Not I won’t give it to them until I know for sure.  And if I know that it’s not safe I won’t give it to them either. 

• One question i must ask! Do you feed wildbirds a mixture of non-vegetatian bird food or a mixture of both or just vegetarian food for wild birds Just wondering!

Regards,

Ian.

• One more question i must ask. In reserve management. The RSPB sometimes at the last resort have to do humane culling of Deer such as at at Leighton Moss.. The Grey Squirrel has had to be culled to try to protect the Red Squirrel. Also Rats have had to be controlled because of disease as well the affects of bird s nesting. As a vegetarian i have to accept at times this has to be done. I don't like that to happen.. Bit sometimes that has to be done! What are your views on this?

Regards,

Ian.

• Unknown said:
    One question i must ask! Do you feed wildbirds a mixture of non-vegetatian bird food or a mixture of both or just vegetarian food for wild birds Just wondering!

I dont really see there food as being vegetarian or non vegetarian as such since im not going to be eating it. But I usually just give them what they need most which depends on what season it is. To me if it’s natural for a animal to eat something I don’t feell uncomfortable with it. Cause if it’s not natural it would be like  giveing me part of a  animal like meat rather veggie burgers. 

I do give them mealworms for protein along with seeds in Spring. then I give them nuts and suet in the Autumn and Winter. In Autumn and Winter If there’s Wild Berrys Wildlife can eat like Blackberrys I will take some for me aswell as them rather than just for me and I will look for any Wild fruit I know they can eat that develops at the Orchard down the road and give them some of those aswell. So I guess you could say both.  

It does depend on the animal your feeding though. Useimg mealworms as an example If hedgehogs can’t eat mealworms then don’t feed them mealworms. Look for food hedgehogs can eat. Otherwise if uncomfortable with feeding the food they can eat don’t feed them. The Animals safety should come first. If a food is safe but your uncomfortable with it. Look for an alternative but make sure it’s safe. If there’s birds that like mealworms in your garden but you get other Wildlife that can’t eat mealworms during Spring and Summer. don’t put mealworms out .cause even if its not safe they could still eat them. Also some Wildlife have there own preferences like we do so If you have animals where it’s safe to eat mealworms and do eat them but they don’t like them for some reason and prefer to just go for worms out and about instead then don’t feed them worms. Of course if your uncomfortable with giveing worms even if you or other people arnt the ones eating them then it’s ok not to feed them mealworms.

• Unknown said:
    One more question i must ask. In reserve management. The RSPB sometimes at the last resort have to do humane culling of Deer such as at at Leighton Moss.. The Grey Squirrel has had to be culled to try to protect the Red Squirrel. Also Rats have had to be controlled because of disease as well the affects of bird s nesting. As a vegetarian i have to accept at times this has to be done. I don't like that to happen.. Bit sometimes that has to be done! What are your views on this?

I’m not comfortable with culling either and its good it should only be used as a last resort. I think as long as something is Humane its ok. I would prefer people didnt cull dear but does have to be done as a last resort sometimes. if done humanely.

For Gray Squirrels if theres red squirrels in the area Or if theres too much gray Squirrels. They do try to control them.

But interestingly the Wildlife Trust and other conservation charitys

have evidance that the pine Martin could help control the gray Squirrel population and have released

there first ones in the Forest of Dean a few years ago and Hope they will eventually spread out. the pine Martin 

is a predator of the gray Squirrel. If it works and pine Martin does drive them all out then 

I think They might not need to cull them or at least as often 

• I’m afraid I disagree with you. The Pine Martins population is not big enough at the moment. The RSPB has had huge problems with black headed gulls overrunning the famous scrape at Minsmere decades ago and taken the Avocet Chicks where been taken by Black Headed Gulks. The RSPB took the decision to impregnate the eggs to make those eggs infertile. And eventually got the Black Headed Gulls down to a smaller population and down to a reasonable level. The Seals at one time has a huge population on the Farne Islands and the National Trust took the decision to cull the seals as the seabirds where being affected. And again I did agree with the National Trust. Also the local county wildlife trusts in my area of North East England have controlled the population of Grey Squirrels as this my area still has Red Squirrels. The RSPB at Leighton Moss in Lancashire have had to control the population of Deer at times in Lancashire as the Deer where damaging the reeds and that was causing huge problems. A local bird reserve not far from where I live have had all the Avocet Chicks taken by various Gulls over the last 3 years running. And I told the reserve manager/head warden what the RSPB had done and still do from time to time as if certain gulls get to high a population that can cause huge problems. Also the management  of all the wetland area’s are well managed. I know some that don’t like any type of management at any wildlife reserves and don’t like any humane culling wildlife. But management work has to be done at wildlife reserves as well as humane culling at times. I had pest control called out out a few weeks ago at my home address as my garden was overrun with rats. And again it had to be done very quickly and straight away. I’m very pragmatic about wildlife conservation and never get over sentimental like some I know over wildlife reserves and wildlife culling and management on those reserves get like that. I may sound hard. But all wildlife organisations that I know off have had to take these decisions. Despite being a vegetarian I’m very pragmatic about wildlife consevation and management and never get over sentimental when these decisions have to be made!

Regards,

Ian.