Restoring an active quarry to a nature reserve. Have you ever wondered how it is done?

Last year, out of sheer curiosity, I started keeping a photo rich blog, with weekly updates or more, about how Cemex are restoring their Everlsey quarry to a nature reserve. I also chucked in quite a few wildlife related observations about anything that grabbed my interest e.g. a Hobby flying around, loads of Lapwings, some Oyster catchers, an obliging Weasel, American Mink and a whole load of other wildfowl, mammals and insects I don't have a hope of recognising. I'm quite new at this bird spotting.

It is more than just a couple of bulldozers pushing soil around. It is an extraordinary and expensive process. The restoration is nearing completion, and will join the adjacent Moor Green Lakes reserve. This reserve was completed some years ago, and had the first hectare of the 1000 hectares that Cemex restored in an initiative with the RSPB.

Here is a link to my blog http://www.artyousee.co.uk/fleet-hill-farm-and-manor-farm

Note, I have no association with Cemex, other than I stomp around their site every week, occasionally sinking up to my knees in mud. I do have special permission to be on their site (they do know what I am up to), but do not enter it whilst there is heavy machinery operating.  The site is still an active quarry and not open to public access. If you do pop down to the area, please keep to foot and bridle paths.

Have fun,

Angus