ID ... Thrush

Could someone PLEASE help me with IDing this bird. Is it a Song or a Mistle Thrush and any easy ways of remembering which is which?

• Oh Wow Buzzard ..... will I ever get them mixed up again? Hope not after that super lesson. Many many thanks.

• Thanks John B (nts) for your three replies. Will remember your 'armpit' suggestion next time I see one. lol

• Wow.

Great picture, and the ones from buzzard too, how about a blackbird and fieldfare to complete the set? :-)

I always look forward to the arrival of redwings and fieldfares as others do swallows and swifts, I think they're great birds.

I agree with the I.D. of song thrush and all the tips already suggested, and would like to add the following, it is often possible to tell mistle from song thrush by watching behaviour.  A song thrush is more timid and will usually be found close to cover such as hedges and when disturbed will fly low down into trees or bushes, a mistle thrush is much more bold and will often be seen well out into the open in fields and large lawns (more like redwings and fieldfares) and if disturbed will usually fly much higher to the tops of trees, obviously there will be exceptions to these rules but if you're not close enough to I.D. by other means this can be useful.

• Thanks Norfolk Dipper. I will try hard to put all these suggestions into practice from now on. Just for you I will enclose a Male and Female and Immature  Blackbird's pic. (Maybe not in that order ... but we will see!!)

Just btw ..... are the male and female Thrushes  easy to tell apart?

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 15/11/2009 01:35 in reply to Teuchter

Fabulous pictures Teucher

i remember a little story of a Mistle Thrush we had at one of our properties in Scotland.

Dave, and I would come home in the late afternoon, and we would see this 'Mistle Thrush' sitting of a Scots Pine nearby to our garden. The bird sat there through high winds, sleet, snow you name it he would sit on his perch swaying in the winds on his top perch.  He was the King of his perch.

One day Dave, and I where on our way back home in a high wind and there he was on his perch on top of the same Scots pine Tree.  It was the weekend, and we went to bed that night thinking no more about the subject. Next morning we got up and the same Mistle Thrush had hit the window and was lying outside in the garden area.  He was no more and i felt so upset about him.

How sad was that finding a real storm trouper fighting through sun, rain,storms and whatever he died through hitting our main front room window.

I still feel sad to this day thinking about the same bird.  So sad and the death unnecessary.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• It is sad Blackbird when that happens as they almost become a friend or pet when they give so much pleasure every day.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 16/11/2009 17:31 in reply to Teuchter

hi Teucher

Thank you for your thoughts on the plight of our 'Mistle Thrush'

I will never forget him - quite a bird in a million.

Yes, our birds give a lot of pleasure indeed, and they are one in a million anyday {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

It is sad Blackbird when that happens as they almost become a friend or pet when they give so much pleasure every day.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 16/11/2009 17:43 in reply to Anonymous

Hi Buzzard

Just want to say Buzzard that your pictures are fabulous pictures.

You presented, and it tell us what we ned to know about the Thrush family {smile}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hi

Please remember that to post other people's photos to our community breaks copyright laws, and we could get in trouble for that!

If you find some photos that you like and want to share them with other people, it's better to post a link to them.

Thanks

Katie

• Hi blackbird,

thanks again for the kind comments.

Really appreciate them.

Regards Buzzard