Little Egret in Rutland???

While out walking in the Rutland area yesterday we saw a white, Heron-type bird (but about half the size of a Grey Heron) standing by a small stream.  I did not have a camera on me, so sorry - no photo. Looking in my bird guide it looks like a Little Egret, but is it possible that one of these could be inland and as far north as Rutland?

• Unknown said:

While out walking in the Rutland area yesterday we saw a white, Heron-type bird (but about half the size of a Grey Heron) standing by a small stream.  I did not have a camera on me, so sorry - no photo. Looking in my bird guide it looks like a Little Egret, but is it possible that one of these could be inland and as far north as Rutland?

Hi LadyGrey,

Yes, it's very possible. I go to Rutland Water for the British Birdwatching Fair each year and usually see a few Little Egrets at Egleton nature reserve. This species has no particular tie to the coast , and has spread northwards at an impressive rate since first breeding in the UK a couple of decades ago :)

• Hi LadyGrey,

Welcome to the forum!

I've looked up a note I wrote about a trip to Rutland Water in the summer and I saw little egrets then, and the commentator on the cruise didn't suggest they were at all unusual, so I guess they are part of the scene in Rutland.   

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 03/01/2011 04:12

Hi LadyGrey and welcome to the Forum.  Enjoy yourself here

Yes, a Little Egret comes to mind from the description that you have given here

I am another Rutland Water (Bird Fair) visitor, and go to Rutland a few times a year to do some birding.  Dave and I do not live too far away from Rutland so that is a good thing.

Never mind about the photo..... there are always other chances of a photos.  Seeing the bird in its glory will bring a smile onto anyone face, anytime ....... and the buzz it gives you when you see birds you have not seen before.

Look forward to lots more chats with you

Regards and Dave

• Unknown said:

Hi,

LadyGrey,i was out walking today in Corby and saw a little egret in our local brook,which isnt far from the town centre.

First time i have seen one in Corby,so i definately think they have moved inland.

regards john

• Hi Lady Grey

Here are few pictures I took at Dugeness.

Robert

• Hi LadyGrey

Welcome to the Community from me too. :-)

It's always nice to see a little egret in the UK. I've never seen one close enough to take a good photo, but they do seem to be spreading around the Country.

When I went to Florida, snowy egrets were common on the beach. If you compare Robert's shots of the little egret, with this one of the snowy egret, you can clearly see the differences between the two species.

• Unknown said:

The Little Egret has certainly spread widely in recent years,we get them up here in N.Yorks well inland.Its nice to see a bit of a success story and a lovely bird to see anywhere.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 04/01/2011 16:25 in reply to Seaman

Hi Chris/Robert

Beautiful photos... and a joy to see everyone's experiences with Egrets.

Chris that is one stunning Snowy Egret which i have never seen before {huge smile}

Thank you for sharing

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Wendy S said:

The Little Egret has certainly spread widely in recent years,we get them up here in N.Yorks well inland.Its nice to see a bit of a success story and a lovely bird to see anywhere.

[/quote]

Thanks very much for your reply, Seaman, and to everyone else on the forum who has been so welcoming and informative to us newcomers! I am wondering where in N. Yorks you see Little Egrets? Although we saw this one in Rutland, we live in E.Yorks and often venture north of Pickering!

• Unknown said:

[/quote]

Thanks very much for your reply, Seaman, and to everyone else on the forum who has been so welcoming and informative to us newcomers! I am wondering where in N. Yorks you see Little Egrets? Although we saw this one in Rutland, we live in E.Yorks and often venture north of Pickering!

[/quote]

We often see them on the reserve at Nosterfield (N of Ripon),occasionally on my local patch here in Ripon and the reserve between Ripon canal and the racecourse.There are more often spring/summer sightings and they are more casual visitors than resident birds on the reserves around here.If you are in E.Yorks I think the show up a bit South of you on the YWT reserve at South Cave,happy hunting,Pete.