Unidentified bird(?) noise

• I've increased the volume and cleaned up the hiss a bit (hope that's okay OP) so hopefully members might hear something they didn't hear the first time.

So after listening again - and through headphones - I 'think' there are possibly 2 individuals as at times the calls seem to overlap each other.

I also 'think' I can hear a hoot and some barking as well as definite screams, which brings me back to owls and foxes I'm afraid.

Obviously, that's just me, but sometimes the most common answer (owls/ foxes) is the answer.

But that's just my opinion and I welcome other members offering theirs.

• Could you identify where in the two recordings (second counts) the call occurs, Tim?

It's looking more and more like each of us is listening to something different (and perhaps not to the call that interests you).

Thanks -
    Dave
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Hi Dave,
    Good idea! The first recording has four separate calls. One starts just after or just as the recording begins and it continues until 0.03. There's a gap of less than a second, and a second call from 0.03 to 0.06, then a fractionally longer gap and a third call from 0.07 to 0.10, then a fourth call almost immediately afterwards that isn't fully captured.

There are a couple of other bird sounds overlapping it, which may well be confusing things a bit - the rhythmic chirping at the beginning between the start and about 0.03 is a chiffchaff, so ignore that if you can! There's a goldfinch singing at 0.02 - 0.04 and i think 0.10 - 0.11.

The second recording starts mid way through a call, which ends at 0.01. There's a second, which doesn't quite sound the same (possibly two calls overlapping or following each other, or it might just be the bad recording) from 0.03 - 0.08, a third from 0.08 - 0.11, and a fourth from 0.12 - 0.15. Again, there's also a chiffchaff calling at regular intervals.

@rspbailey, no problem at all with you turning up the volume - thanks! I can assure you that at the time there was nothing that could be construed as a bark though, so I assume the recording just isn't capturing the sound well enough. I used to live in a neighbourhood where I heard foxes calling all the time, and I never heard one make a sound even roughly similar. I'm not a fox expert, but the more I listen to fox vocalisations, the less likely I think it is a fox.

I think I might have to go back tonight any try and get a better recording!
  • Hi Tim,
    That's great. Thank you.

And good luck with getting that even better recording.

Tip: Get the Chiffchaffs to keep the noise down.

Dave
  • Excellent work, as always, by rspbailey in clearing up the recording.

Honestly, I'll bow out from this thread.
    I'm a long way from the Isle of Wight. And while we've a very active fox population here, including the crèching of young on our property, and adults thus around round the clock, and I've looked after foxes in rehab, it's quite possible that there are regional differences in vocalizations.
    Ditto for the other suggestion, owls. I'm only familiar with the eight species that breed locally to here, again having handled, fed, helped with ringing, etc. many of them. But that doesn't get me very far with Tim's questions.

Good luck, everyone, with finding not only what it most probably is, but also what it actually is.

Second opinions can be sought via www.hiwwt.org.uk/contact-us.

All the best -
    Dave
  • Weird noise 3.m4a

So I went back this evening, and I heard it again! Almost exactly the same time.

Unfortunately I only heard it once, so didn't have any luck trying to get closer to the source. So I'm not sure if this recording is any better. You can hear my footsteps as I try and get closer and the chiffchaffs didn't co-operate. But here it is, just in case anyone hears anything familiar in this one.

• Here's an edit of this latest recording  -

Hmmm - still very odd, but I'm starting to think it could possibly be an audible bird scarer.

Bird scarers use distress calls or raptor calls to deter certain birds and they can be played at regular times - you say 'almost exactly the same time' - although many also play sounds randomly.

Because this seems to play at a certain time then it could possibly be an audible device that is preventing roosting - hence the time of evening.

• Still sounds like something released from an aviary. Can't begin to guess what, but not a native that I recognise.
  • In reply to rspbailey:

Thanks again for clearing up the recording!

Yeah it was a bit weird how close in time it was to the previous occasion - within about five minutes. It did make me wonder if it could be something artificial. I presume if it was a bird scaring device of some kind it would play more than once though? I heard it for maybe15 or 20 seconds, waited for about an hour and didn't hear it again. Another thing that crossed my mind is whether it could be produced by wind vibrating something.

I'm going to have to try and get to the bottom of this, though maybe not tonight!
  • Where's my popcorn?

This is better than Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie put together :)