Cannot identify this bird call

BirdCW.m4a

Hello

Can anyone help me identify this bird, its driving me around the bend. If it helps we are in a small town in Sussex backing onto Woodland with a brook running through it. You can hear the distinctive two syllable whistle at 11 seconds and 22 seconds. 

Thanks in advance!

Chris

• Hi Chris

Strange as it may seem but it sounds like a Northern Bobwhite which is of course an American bird. You can listen to the call on the preceding link to see if you think it matches what you are hearing.

I think I read somewhere that they are sometimes kept as pets here in the UK. Do you know of anyone locally who might do that?

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Tony
    That's definitely a closer match than anything I have been able to identify, but then again I wasn't looking for American birds! I'm 99.9% sure it wouldn't be a domesticated bird as the woodland we back on to is pretty large and it is definitely coming from there rather than a neighbours house.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • That's a good answer TJ.
  • Hi Tony
    So i took a walk across the Woodland at lunch to the other side and sure enough one of the houses backing onto the wood the other side has an aviary in the garden - never noticed it before as never had such an unusual sound. Couldn't spot the Northern Bobwhite but a safe assumption that it's in there! Thanks Chris
  • In reply to chrisjworrell:

Thanks for the feedback, Chris. It's always good to solve a mystery. I'm pretty sure we've had one reported on this forum before which is why I knew what to look for.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream