Bird on feeder cam

This bird appeared on my feeder cam this morning, only showed up in the photos. I’m not sure what this is, looks somewhat like a greenfinch but I’m unsure (I used to have greenfinch but they haven’t come back in a while). Thanks 

• Tough one this Ellis.

Can I just say that if you enjoy looking at birds via a camera then invest in the best quality you can - the best your budget will allow - because if it's a pastime that you thoroughly enjoy then the investment will pay you back ten fold.

So, back to the bird in question - the poor quality of the captured image along with all its artefacts and colour mismanagement makes it harder to pick out details and true colouring, but I can see what you're saying about it being a Greenfinch with the bulkier look and large head and dark eye etc but I cannot see any flashes of green or yellow (but that could be me).

What I can see is a flash of white (but that could be down to the cameras interpretation of its colour settings and the available light) and head markings akin to a female Chaffinch.

So I can see elements of both birds, but I cannot safely say which one - so if anyone would like to offer Ellis another interpretation of this image then we might get closer to what it is.

I do know people enjoy keeping garden lists and feeder lists so it can be important to an individual - as well as good for bird records overall.
  • Thanks for the help, the image is heavily cropped so it’s not the best quality obviously. However, I don’t have stacks of money to spend on a camera so I just use what I can afford (this trail camera cost me £100)
  • I immediately though Greenfinch, and after a closer look I'll stick with that ID.
  • Have looked at top pic on my tablet with brilliance cranked up & there is a great deal of smooth green on the bird with no sparrow type feather variations, just a pity that I can't capture & post what I see!
  • The green was what made me think it was a greenfinch. It’s a lot of fun to film the feeder, especially when you get something new, it’s quite exciting to check it after a leaving it out all day