Can anyone confirm this is a Great Black Backed gull?

• I think it’s a lesser from the long wings and greyer back but the angle and shadows make it ambiguous
  • I think it's a lesser it looks a bit lightweight for a greater to me, pity we cannot see the leg colour as that can be a good id point

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi-

where was the photo taken ?
    :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi-

Primary projection definitely favours LBB- I don't think the bill is massive and blobby tipped enough for GBB-

where was the photo taken ?
    :)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Thank you - the photo was taken at the Wyre Estuary country park in Lancashire.
    Since learning that Lesser have yellow legs and Great have pink legs I have been trying to get a good photo of the latter - you can't see the leg colour on this but I thought it might be Great, I'll have to keep trying.
  • Anna I always think Greaters always look quite mean and heavy. Our daughter suggests they look like club bouncers but then she has more idea on that than an oldie like me. Theyare the biggest of our gulls

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I think it was aiki who, a long time ago said that a LBB looks like it could open a tin can with ease and a GBB could open a small hatch back like a sardine can - i.e they have a really big don't mess with me beak

Cin J

• In reply to Germain:

Love that one Germain, we hsve not seen one yet this year, we just have not been able to get to thr local Gull roosts as I am finding it a bit difficult walking and watching as the light goes. Chris says we will get there even if she has to kick me there! !

Pete