Unknown

I saw this bird at Bishops Frome in Herefordshire on November 7 th. Has anyone an idea what it is

• Hi Kingspart, it's a great egret which is a member of the heron family and of similar size to a grey heron;    a lovely bird to see, well done capturing it on camera.

• If anyone needs convincing of climate change/global warming this bird provides evidence. Not many years ago Great Egrets (aka Great White Egrets) you would only expect to see in Southern Europe. In recent years they have been colonising the UK and are now breeding in small but increasing numbers.
    Nice shot - well done.
  • Unknown said:
    If anyone needs convincing of climate change/global warming this bird provides evidence. Not many years ago Great Egrets (aka Great White Egrets) you would only expect to see in Southern Europe. In recent years they have been colonising the UK and are now breeding in small but increasing numbers.
    Nice shot - well done.

Along with the Cattle Egret as well! Also a number of other birds now breeding in the UK as well particularly in the Somerset Levels. My biggest worry in parts of Scotland are the population of nesting, Ptarmigan, Dotterels and Snow Buntings above 3000 feet above sea level particularly in the Cairngorms and I do fear for those 3 breeding/nesting birds above 3000 feet up in Scotland and what the future holds for those 3 birds in this country!