Diver ID Please

Hi,

I've really tried to work this out myself but am just not confident enough. Please help me work out what these three birds are. I'd be grateful if you could also explain the reasoning so I can try to educate myself as I'm annoyed that I'm having to ask and can't work it out myself

I thought the one on the left of the two was Red Throated but confused by the one on the right.

One on its own I thought was Great Northern.

Knowing my luck, none are divers at all

Thanks in advance,

TM

• P.S. I also considered juvenile guillemot for the right hand one but lack of tail made me dismiss it. Really am terrible at this ID lark!
  • 73 subscribers but no answers!

If you're terrible, Temporarily, you're clearly not alone.

I've no idea at all. (But I've subscribed too...)
  • I'm only using a small screen at the moment and it is a bad eyes day I would suggest maybe Red Throated Diver for the first picture I just hope others can do better.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• That's a big beak on the single bird so I think you might be right with the great northern. What we really need is a bird genius like Robbo or TeeJay to pop in with their thoughts. I don't often see divers, sadly.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I'd say that the first 2 are Red-throated divers - the lighter patch on the neck extends more around the neck and there is less of a patch under the cheek.

The lone fella is Black-throated diver as again with the neck, it's less extensive around the neck and you can see more of a patch under the cheek - I say 'patch but it's more like it shadows the cheek if you see what I mean
  • To add - the patch around the neck is light whereas the patch under the cheek is dark.

Just in case anyone is confused.
  • Thanks very much, that's really helpful!

Really made up that I've seen not one but two different Divers - never seen any before!

If interested, the two together were taken in Stromness in Orkney and the single bird near Golspie in the Highlands.

Thanks again,

TM
  • Re confusion of the two, one looks immature.
  • Hmmmmm ....... I clearly need to see more divers!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

Clare Bailey said:
    I clearly need to see more divers

Buy an English Football Premier League TV package, Clare.

By the end of the season, you'll be an expert.

All the best - 

Dave