Hobby or Peregrine?

• I'm afraid that thr the behaviour does not sound like either Hobby or Peregrine, both are unlikely visitors to gardens but birds do the most unlikely things at times when food is involved.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

I watched a video by the BTO earlier on hobbies, and the flight pattern/shape was very similar to what I saw. It wasn’t directly in my garden (about 30ft above) but I get what you mean, I’ll just pencil it in as a hobby and confirm it if I see it again. It didn’t seem as bulky as a peregrine though. Thanks, Ellis
  • In reply to Dave - CH:

Luckily, I saw it again today but even closer, it was 110% a hobby. My research from the other day would agree, especially the anchor shape. It waited for the goldfinch flock to arrive again but they were a little more aware today.  
    Thanks, Ellis 

• In reply to Seaman:

It flew lower down towards my garden today, and is definitely a hobby. Came after the same big flock of goldfinches too.
    Thanks
  • Great sighting Ellis I would be quite happy to see Hobby in our garden

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Thanks, I will try to get a photo next time I see it if possible
  • Far and away the most likely culrpit for chasing goldfinches in gardens in UK as has been said is sparrowhawk. I accept that can be ruled out by the description. A distant second place is kestrel.

kestrel sized and had very pointy wings. It had pretty strong wingbeats but short wingbeats but was swallow-like when chasing. I didn’t manage to take a photo as it happened pretty quickly.

Also, we have a few kestrels around the village, with it being a very similar if not smaller size than one

Why wasn't either sighting a kestrel?
  • In reply to Robbo:

I appreciate why you said this, there are lots of kestrels in the village but they tend to stick to the outskirts. However, was much much darker, a slate grey colour and had black moustache pattern. Wasn’t anywhere brown enough to be a kestrel
    Thanks
  • In reply to ellis187:

Fair enough. We get hobby here, so not unheard of. We're further south than I think you are (Midlands?), and get them each late Summer very, very briefly.....i.e. see the odd one or two for about 10secs, as they fly over. This year was the first year I saw two in Spring. On every occasion, they are flying over and have no interaction with the gardens around. Funnily enough, not seen any since. As it is now 18th Sept, not expecting any sightings here now til 2022. They are thinning out in UK in mid Sept.......
  • In reply to Robbo:

Saw it again today, I noticed because the sparrows hid pretty quickly. It swoops over at around 8 in the morning from south to north, I’ve seen it three times now. Surely this is quite rare for a hobby. The bird just looks lanky and long winged, like a tern. Long tail, long wings and dark overall. Reminds me of a zebra crossing pole/anchor because the body is far forwards. Does this sound like a hobby?