What is attacking this eagle?

• In reply to SunnyKate2:

S K our local Buzzards seem quite lazy in comparison with your local birds we hardly ever see them chasing small birds mammals seem to be high on the menu along with larger invertebrates. In the Dales area we see quite a lot of dead Rabbits and, after shooting days, game birds that have not been picked up. Buzzards can sometimes be seen along with the Red Kites scrapping for these bits with the Kites often proving to be the better scavenger

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    Buzzards get off lightly (although, of course, they have a hard time from crows and Ravens)

That's been my experience, so I was surprised to see this Buzzard hanging out peacefully with a couple of Hoodies.  This was late September, so maybe things are more tranquil outside of the breeding season?

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    Dave I would have paid good money to have seen that and for a dyed in the wool Yorkshire man that is a big statement

I have a Yorkshireman as a brother-in-law Pete. We'd have to discuss your definition of "good money"  ;-)

Ditto your comment to Lesley. Great photos. We smartphoned Golden Eagles and Griffons in Oberland during our autumn 2020 trip: nothing like the quality of your images Lesley.

All the best - 

Dave 

• In reply to LesleyL:

LesleyL said:
    I was surprised to see this Buzzard hanging out peacefully with a couple of Hoodies

Yes, funny that. Purely anecdotal, but do you not find that Hoodies are a bit more... "Zen" than their cousins?

• In reply to LesleyL:

Those hoodies look like they have set a trap and are waiting for the buzzard to set it off!
  • In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    Those hoodies look like they have set a trap

:-)

I was thinking that the Buzzard was wondering what the other two were (that's my reaction to Hoodies every time I'm south of the Alps; takes me a good few days to get used to them).

• In reply to Dave - CH:

Dave - CH said:
    do you not find that Hoodies are a bit more... "Zen" than their cousins?

Hmm ... I hadn't considered that before, but now you mention it ...

I'll need to pay more attention to the Hoodies and Rooks now, and see if that's true.  (We don't have Carrion Crows here.)

• In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    Those hoodies look like they have set a trap and are waiting for the buzzard to set it off!

:lol: I love that idea!

• In reply to LesleyL:

LesleyL said:
    now you mention it ...

I hadn't either Lesley, but just realized that I've probably never said: "Hoodies are shouty this morning". Whereas, with Carrion Crows...

• In reply to Seaman:

Wendy S said:
    I forgot to say Lesley never mind the quality those photos are brilliant to anyone who is interested in raptor behaviour thanks for posting them for us to enjoy.

(I've no idea why the forum thinks Seaman is Wendy S)

I've been looking at the photos again, and I do have more in the sequence of the Buzzard approaching and the Eagle rolling to counter the attack, if they would be of any interest to anyone?  Quality is much the same as those I posted.