Goldeneye in summer?

Is this bird I found today a goldeneye? I saw it in Northumberland and I'm not aware of any breeding populations there. Can someone please help?

• Benny C said:

Is this bird I found today a goldeneye? I saw it in Northumberland and I'm not aware of any breeding populations there. Can someone please help?

I should say I’ve been told by my local RSPB Group from North East England that this is a subject we should not talk about for obvious reasons! 

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to THOMO:

oh wow ok! I see yh nice to see them staying for the summer here and breeding

• In reply to Benny C:

I'll also keep it a secret dont worry
  • In reply to THOMO:

Do you think it's best if i delete this post then?
  • Why do you believe it's breeding? It's late July so most goldeneye sightings at this time of year in England are probably just passing through.
  • In reply to Robbo:

Robbo said:
    Why do you believe it's breeding? It's late July so most goldeneye sightings at this time of year in England are probably just passing through.

If i can post you a PM Robbo.

Regards,

Ian.

• Ian, the news of this has been known to a few at least as far away as N.Yorkshire but as you say best kept off open media sites.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Sorry, the hot weather appears to have made my writing of posts unclear. I wasn't doubting goldeneyes nest in Northumberland. No idea if the photo was taken in an area where they nest. I was questioning/doubting whether they would be now. The location, other than county, wasn't mentioned so not an issue anyway. It's good to be wary of publicising nest sites, but realistically, once a species has been nesting regularly, it'll be known about anyway.

• Robbo, the site that Ian (Thomo) is worried about has been a known breeding site for about 4 years at least,we along with a couple of off duty country rangers accidently found it while looking for evidence of another species breeding nearby. I am sure local birders already knew about it way before we found the site . It. was reported to local recorders and because it is so far South of the normal breeding range it may be attractive to eggers locals have kept very quiet about the exact location. I think Ian is worried it may become too well known but Northumberland is a big county so as you say that should not be a worry

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can