Garden Bird ID

I am pretty new to bird spotting,  but have been feeding birds in my garden for around a year or so with bird feeders.   for the first time the other night I put apple out, as I figured the wild parakeets would enjoy it.   However,  it brought a new bird into the garden that I have never seen before.  

I have looked at some sites trying to work out what it is,  however,  i can seem to find a fit.  (excuse the mess of the hedge,  I have a hedgehog that sleeps in it so dont want to cut it an disturb it)

Would any of you be able to help identify it, any help would be really appreciated. 

• Profile looks like a goldcrest to me but the colour is slightly off. Darker than I'd expect and it's got a very yellow bib, and that red bit at the back that I can't work out. Shame you can't see the top of its head!
  • thanks for this help so far, I will ask my wife if she has other photos too, but I dont think we got any better than this one. Hopefully it will visit again to night, and we maybe get better photos too. It did have a beautiful song also.
  • I don't know what it is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an escapee from somewhere.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Thanks Alan, it may well be, we do have Parakeets here that escaped and now live wild.
  • Whereabouts are you, if you are on Twitter you could ask on there, if not I could post the photo and ask for you.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

My wife has also posted on twitter to see if anyone has any ideas
  • Any suggestions on there yet it may even be a migrant blown off course.

My Flickr photos

• Looks like an escapee - a Pekin Robin

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• I've done a bit of research and it might be a Red-billed Leiothrix (aka Pekin Robin). It seems that it has been spreading across Europe but if that's what it is I suspect in this case it's more likely to be an escaped captive bird.

I must admit I'd never heard of it before.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to HAZY:

Hazel,
    I took a look at some pictures just now of Pekin Robins, and one looks almost exactly like it.
    Thank you so much, its been driving us crazy. I'll do some reading on them, I take it they are usually not wild.