Raptor id would be appreciated please

Still on my hols without my chum. Hope it's okay to continue to ask for advice. 

Saw this on a fence post - west coast of Kintyre. Looking at my little book, I think it's a Buzzard, albeit a pale one. Can anyone confirm please? (I'm afraid I didn't get a photo of it's markings from the back.)

• A pale form Buzzard for me.

Richard B

• Common Buzzard for me too, a pale form as Richard says but Common Buzzards show a great variety of plumage from very dark to almost grey, this one has a very light underbelly.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Thank you Richard / Pete. There is a pair of buzzards who regularly fly near where I live but they are a lot darker in colour. I didn't know what else it could be but didn't know they could vary in colour so much. Thank you
  • You're welcome Sally, enjoy Kintyre it is a great spot

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• In reply to Seaman:

Really enjoying Kintyre. As you can tell, I'm learning about birds!! I rely on taking photos and then looking them up in my book at home. However, I think I need a better identification guide. I'm using an RSPB Pocket Guide which is great but doesn't cover all the variations. The buzzard is a classic example. I sort of knew it couldn't be anything else but was a bit thrown by the light colouring. Inevitably, there's so much variation within a species I find it a bit daunting and confusing, hence relying on you good people.
  • In reply to Sallyb:

Have a look at the "Collins BTO Guide to British Birds".
    It lists pretty much all the species you will see, and it uses actual photos as illustrations rather than drawn prints.

Richard B

• Most birders prefer drawings to photos as the salient points can be better stressed but each to his own.

Pete