Whats this bird?

Apologies if its something common as muck.

• Male House Sparrow.

Not as common or widespread as they used to be.

In my old garden we got 50 or 60 a day at times after the breeding season, and now in my current garden I have seen my first pair this year in 15 years.

Richard B

• I've tried creating a new post but to no avail. So apologies for dropping into this thread. I'd be grateful for help identifying this bird please.

• In reply to Vicky Watson:

This latest video is a dunnock.
  • In reply to Richard G B:

Richard G B said:

Male House Sparrow.

Not as common or widespread as they used to be.

In my old garden we got 50 or 60 a day at times after the breeding season, and now in my current garden I have seen my first pair this year in 15 years.

Depends how far back in history you go, and where you are. In Scotland and Northern Ireland, population has continued to increase. In Wales and England they're about level since 1996 or increasing a bit. Increased exponentially here in the last 3 or 4 years! If you now have a pair, it could well be you'll end up with loads too if you provide enough nest sites and food.

• In reply to Robbo:

Dear Robbo

I have two dunnocks and they are much bigger than this bird. They have very speckly tummies - perhaps you can tell I have only recently got into birds :-) - a bit like a darker version of a song thrush - and they hop around at ground level. Is it a very young/small dunnock?
  • In reply to Vicky Watson:

No, it's an adult. Looks normal size. Dunnocks are a fair bit smaller than song thrushes. Dunnocks do spend a lot of time on the ground, but they're more than capable of getting up onto seed trays.

• Thanks Robbo. I'm really struggling. My regular dunnock visitors (two of them) are much bigger than this. I thought it might be a wren but my regular wren visitors are much smaller. Confusing. A friend of mine has suggested it could be a female chiffchaff but is it too big? Also someone else thinks it could be an early arrived garden warbler. I'm confused because, as a very new bird watcher, I really thought I'd got to know my dunnocks :-(
  • No probs. No, your friends are wrong I'm afraid. There are loads of chiffchaffs about now, and on the walk today, it seemed like every other bird I saw and/or heard was one. Garden warblers (and most other warblers) don't come to feeders. Blackcaps are the only ones that do intentionally. I've had willow warblers and chiffchaffs follow other species, and end up perching on the feeding stations (even though there's no food out when they're around anyway). As far as I'm concerned, nothing looks like a dunnock and your bird definitely is one.
  • They were as common as muck years ago but not as so these days. Some days you'll do well to find one!