I saw these 2 birds from a great distance on a field near me in Cheshire yesterday. The field had just been treated with muck spreading but I could see the birds at the far end. I think one was a buzzard but what about the light one. Help appreciated.

• I'm certainly no photo critic but these are not the best ones to i.d. from but as you think one is almost certainly a Common Buzzard and the paler bird may also be another Buzzard but a much paler phase bird. Common Buzzards do vary a lot in plumage making i.d. difficult at times even in daylight. The "crescent" shape on the chest is often a good pointer, hope this helps but someone may be able to improve the picture quality.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• I can only apologise for the photo quality but it was the best I could do from a great distance- worth asking! Thank you for looking.
  • Caroline any photo is better than none at all when trying to i.d. a bird. There are some clever people on the forum who may enhance your shots and get a more reliable i.d. it will be interesting to see what others think.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thanks Robbo, always good when someone agrees with your ideas.

Pete