Goldfinch without a red face. Looks like an adult bird. Not seen one without red face before ! Anyone else seen any like this ?

• Juvenile goldfinches don't have the red face, it will develop as the GF matures. My guess, it's on the cusp of juvenile/adult.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

Thanks Mike. I get juvenile Goldfinches visit every year and never seen one like this. This bird has been visiting for several weeks now and always looked this way. Your suggestion is definitely a possibility. If the bird keeps visiting the garden then I guess time will reveal the answer.
  • In reply to fujiandhuaweitim:

fujiandhuaweitim said:
    Thanks Mike. I get juvenile Goldfinches visit every year and never seen one like this. This bird has been visiting for several weeks now and always looked this way. Your suggestion is definitely a possibility. If the bird keeps visiting the garden then I guess time will reveal the answer.

You're welcome.

I've managed to dig out a photo of a juv GF having a bathe on the pond fountain a couple of years back. You will see the resemblance, the orange being the early appearance of the red facial feature.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peak-rambler/42122892485/in/album-72157667872360587/

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Could be a pigmentation issue. I guess you’ll know if it keeps on appearing.
  • In reply to Internetman:

Internetman said:
    Could be a pigmentation issue. I guess you’ll know if it keeps on appearing.

Good suggestion, though I had considered pigment issue, or even hybrid.

Really we needed more info and follow ups on that particular bird.

One thing I've struggled with on the web is obtaining good solid info on juvenile birds, and other animals, but it is there, just often harder to find while casting aside the dubious info.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• i own a european goldfinch (yes he is legal he came from a breeder and his owner sadly passed away so he was given to me and im in malta) i've owned him for 5 years and don't really know how old he is because im not his first owner but i noticed lately he is moulting and the feathers are turning orange yellowish instead of red. maybe it could be of old age dont know yet. the exotic vet i work with has 4 of them in her garden aviary and i might ask her next monday on it maybe she knows something
  • In reply to Miguel Pace:

That's interesting Miguel maybe the avian equivalent of us oldies getting grey hair and I've got plenty of that

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Found this via Google - www.allaboutbirds.org/.../ - especially the part dealing with xanthochroism.