Snow bunting plumage

My question is not an "identify this" as I know these are Snow Bunting. We have been lucky to have a small flock of 8 birds on the beach for the last few months. I think they will migrate (to Iceland?) in March. I also think the male is the paler bird. Is that right? My question is, when will the male change to it's summer plumage? Might I get to see it before it goes?

• Hi

yes the lower bird is a male- it's beginning to go into summer plumage already but most unlikely to be in Sumplum before it heads north.

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• We only occasionally see Snow Bunting when they pass through the nearby moorland in Spring, late March to early April and they seem to be in similar plumage to the lower photo. I've only seen full plumage birds in the Highlands.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Thank you both  I'll just have to go to Iceland to see them in the summer plumage

• In reply to Sallyb:

Sally, Cairngorm in the Scottish Highlands is nearer and more scenic in my opinion

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can