Anyone identify this bird please?

Sorry, it was too quick for me to photograph it.

It has been mooching about in my garden and likes to hang about near hedges and small trees.

It was roughtly the size and shape of a large female blackbird, but rounder and fuller (albeit birds are sligtly puffed up in this weather.)

It was about the same height but I would say slightly chunkier.

It was slightly lighter than female blackbird brown and had a slightly speckled breast. I could not see any distinct clour on the breast apart from straw colour and mottled dark brown.

It has distinct slim yellow circles round its eye sockets. This feature really stands out.

I thought it may have been a redstart but it is bigger than that. 

I am unable to tell you the colour of the beak or legs, but if they had been a bright colour I would have noticed.

I have not heard it call yet.

I cannot find reference to this bird anywhere.

If anyone can idetify it from my description I would be very pleased.

• Some female Blackbirds have a very pale chest and this really highlights the speckling, and the rest of the feathers can be a lighter brown..
    Their eyes have a yellowish ring round them.

If you Google female Blackbird there are plenty of images of the paler birds.
  • Hello
    Thank you all for your replies.
    I have googled quite a few images of various female blackies and also mistle thrushes. The body of my bird is similar ( not quite as speckled as a thrush) but the yellow around the eyes of this bird is very, very bright and distinct. Almost to the point of looking comedic rather than fairly subtle light markings. I guess there is always scope for a bit of genetic variation though? There is nothing else really that fits my description really.... just your suggestions really. It possibly is one or t'other.
    I am going to lurk about with my camera all day if need be :)
    Watch this space.
    Thank you.
    P.S I have a pair of black caps feeding in the garden. Lovely to watch and listen to .Luckily I have hedges and shrubs as cover for them. (We have a regular sparrowhawk visitor).
    Many thanks
    D
  • Hi
    Spotted it again.
    Finally got it! It is a Redwing!
    Nice to have one in the garden - especially living in a small town. Luckily there are lots of gardens and allotments, berries, grass and soil around and am close to a river.
    It must have been very puffed up against the cold to look so big.
    Thanks everyone