• The other photo invlving the kestrel would be handy. Doesn't look like an osprey on my screen though.....but screen too small to make out anything other than a dark and light bird on a post. Hopefully get a better idea when I have access to a proper monitor and that other photo.
  • I saw the three photos on the Osprey thread and thought the 2nd photo looked more like a Red Kite with the general shape and what appears to be grey head and what looks like red tail colourings although it's only a tentative guess;  

I've cropped it down here ,...

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• Red Kite was my thinking when I saw that photo too Hazel

My Flickr photos

• I'm inclined to agree with you, Hazel. The second photo looks similar in posture and markings to the Red Kite that visits me

PS Sometimes lighting conditions can give a false impression of colour particularly on such a long shot using a phone.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thank you all. I'll keep looking out for it and see if I can get a better picture to confirm what it is. We don't have many resident Red Kites here and none I've seen so light in colour but maybe a visitor.
  • @ Tony, that photo is a great comparison and shows the general shape/colour, and the posture etc,
    @ Sharon, hope you see it again and as Tony says, in different lights it can confuse and make birds look different.

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again"